What's new

Distortion On Recorded CDs (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
The other night I had some recorded CDs playing, and I noticed some distortion coming out of the speakers. The only way I can describe it - it is like the distorion you would hear when listening to FM radio with an o.k. but not great signal. You can hear the music but there is a echo-y, distorted sound 'behind' the music.
Where could this come from? I tried the disc in different players and with different cables but it sounded the same. Is this from a bad cable(while recording), a faulty recorder or is it possible some noise came through the power line while I was recording? I also use the digital volume control if the volume is low. I always keep the recording level out of the red, but can this increase distortion?
The recorder is a Pioneer PDR509 that I have been very happy with for over 2 years.

Thanks
KrisM

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Kris,
Oh my.
I had this very same deck. PIONEER PDR509
I'll just repost what I posted at audioreviw.com on 7/27/00.
I've had quite an interesting ride regarding consumer CD-Recorder decks. I currently own the Pioneer PDR 509 that is at an authorized PIONEER service center shop getting checked out as I type this now.
The first deck I purchased was the PHILIPS 770 (single tray recorder), I returned and exchanged these decks THREE times and all of the decks I got in exchange had the same problem. About 1 in 5 recordings would be ruined. This happened after the recording was complete, the player would freeze up prior to finalization turning the disc into a coaster.
So, after seeing that getting THREE different PHILIPS decks didn't help, I decided to go with the PIONEER PDR-509 to escape the glitch ridden PHILIPS decks...but to no avail it seems.
I found that the PIONEER PDR-509 had it's own problems as well. When I bought the first PIONEER deck, the first few recordings on MEMOREX CD-Rs came out excellent. Then I started getting these in and out phasing distortion noise that popped up near the beginning, middle and end of the recording...the distortion worsened at times towards the end. I then returned the deck in exchange for another PIONEER PRD-509 deck, the same problem. Then I decided to switch CD-R brands...the MAXELLS seemed to work flawlessly for a little while...then the annoying distortion popped up yet again on the MAXELLS. Finally, I tried the FUJI and TDK brands...no luck! The TDK exhibited the WORST distortion I've ever heard, nearly covering the entire audio with static. My TECHNICS 5-disc changer couldn't even read the finalized TDKs!
This problem manifested itself in BOTH analog and direct digital recordings. I have no sources near the recorder that would cause this problem.
I wonder why this unit has such a horrible compatibility issue. The PHILIPS decks, despite their problems, never had this type of CD-R compatibility issue.
I really wish someone in the know would shed some light on this. As I said before, my PIONEER unit is currently at a PIONEER authorized repair shop. I hope they can find out why this deck has this problem.

I now own and have owned the SONY CD-R consumer dual-deck for 7 months and it has been flawless since day one.
Get yourself the SONY deck (they only have one model). You'll be glad you did, trust me. That PIONEER deck gave me nothing but problems and headaches, I hated those decks...along with the PHILIPS decks, too!
Rid yourself of that PIONEER as quick as possible.

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Jerry. This is bad news. It sounds like one of those problems that a service center can't fix. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I would rather not ditch the deck because it has worked flawlessly for over two years and I have been happy with it.
The strange thing is I had the model before the 509(can't remember the model #) and I had major troubles with it. One in 4 discs would stop recording mid-song for no reason. They exchanged it with the 509 and I thought I was all set for recording. Pioneer still owes me some blank CDs that the first two units ruined. I know I'll never buy a Pioneer product again.
Anybody else have any opinions on this problem?

Thanks
KrisM

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Kris,
If it worked great for two years, I envy you! ;)
Seriously though...I doubt a run to the service center will help, I sent mine out twice to PIONEER's so-called "authorized" repair shop in my area and they never fixed the problem.
But...you never know.
I'm telling you my horror story.
I really hope it works out better for you than it did for me.

KrisM

Second Unit
I really hope it works out too! I was reading the manual and it stated that a tv can cause distortion. Was your unit close to a tv? I have been playing alot of my recorded discs and only two have this problem. I also found that when played on Sony cd or dvd player the distorion was audible. When played on a Pioneer, the distortion disappeared or was less noticeable. I really don't remember if my tv was on or not when they were recorded.
I agree about the service center though. I could see it going in for 3 weeks and the technicians not finding a problem.
Damn this is frustrating.

Regards
KrisM

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Nope.

My television did not cause the problem...in fact, I have the SONY in the exact same spot where the PIONEER unit used to be.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jerry...didn't think we would cross threads on this subject again!

Bottom line: These decks are flaky. Many people have had incurable problems. That said, I had simlar problems as well, but was able to sort things out buy using better quality blank media. Be aware though that YMMV.

Anyway, I have the same deck (had it for about 18 months), and was a lot luckier then Jerry. Out of the box, the 1st recording was fine. Then #2 had this terrible distrorion.

It was not alwys repeatable. Some recording began fine, then in the midlle of the disc went in the toilet. Others were crap right from the word go.

In my case, it appeared to be related to the blank media. I jumped through all the same hoops, tried moving the deck, differnt cable (optical vs. coax). All with no joy.

I spoke to someone at Pioneer, who asked what type of media I was using. The minute I mentioned Memorex, he said that of all the calls he gets, a large majority mention Memeorex.

FTR, there are some folks who tried dfferent media with these decks to no avail. I just happen to get lucky. As soon as I bought a pack of TDK's (suggested by Pioneer) the deck works fine.

You do want to be careful with the digital level (I do not use it), but given the history of these decks, who knows. If you have not done so, it will not hurt to try some different media (other tan maybe creating some really nice drink coasters).

Regards,

Brian

KrisM

Second Unit
I've tried using Maxell, TDK and Pioneer media. The problem occured on a Maxell disc and a TDK disc. It didin't happen with the Pioneer discs, but I also only used about five of them.
My warranty is good until mid-December, so I think I may bring it in just to have the problem on record. Maybe I can get a credit towards another deck.
I would think that Pioneer should be concerned about this since it has happened to alot of people, but the feeling I get is they don't care.

Regards
KrisM

KrisM

Second Unit
Well, I have been to hell and back with this recorder and the end result, after many months of fighting with the authorized Pioneer (poor)service center, I am getting the deck replaced.
I brought it in for service in late October and they had it for three weeks and did nothing but clean the lense.
By the time I got it back, my extended warranty was almost expired, so I extended it another year just to be safe.
By the time Christmas/New Years came and went I realized that the deck was STILL having the same problems, so I brought it back in in January. They held onto it for a week and a half and then told me that nobody in my area could fix CD recorders,even though they said they fixed it the first time it was in, so they shipped it to Pioneer.
Pioneer let it sit on their shelf for 2 weeks before they even looked at it. They then decided then needed to order a part that would take another 2 weeks to get.
The good news is that my warranty says that if it is in service for 45 days, I automatically get a replacement.
The better news is that the model they wanted to give me(a Sony) does not have all of the features that the Pioneer did, so they are giving me the new Yamaha CDRHD1300 instead!:D This unit has a 80 gig hard-drive and retails for $1300CDN.
Needless to say, I am now a very happy camper and other than my old DVD player which is set-up in my bedroom, I will NEVER have another Pioneer product in my house again.:thumbsdown:
Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks