What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Directors' One-Hit-Wonders (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
While looking at the director who made A Christmas Story (Bob Clark), it's sad to see that the rest of his works flopped (c'mon Baby Geniuses?!). One could also consider Mel Gibson's Braveheart. Of course, he's only directed two films. What other movies can you guys think of that fits the "one-hit-wonder" bill?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Bob Clark also directed BLACK CHRISTMAS, one of the truly creepy movies out there, and PORKY'S, not exactly a flop.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Savage Steve Holland also directed One Crazy Summer, the sequal, even though I dont really consider either of those movies really great, just merely good.
I think the prime example is Danny Boyle. He made Shallow Grave, which was good, and then Trainspotting, which was unbelievable. Since then, nothing, nada, zilch. Too bad.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think the most famous of all is Citizen Kane. Orson Welles never again had that combination of creative control and brilliant innovation.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
But Welles was hardly a one-hit wonder. I think that Touch of Evil is as close to the greatness of Citizen Kane as one could get. Also, the Magnificent Ambersons and The Lady from Shanghai are pretty damn good as well. Sure, nothing is as good as Citizen Kane, but this is no way makes him a one hit wonder. It's almost like saying that Coppola was a one-hit wonder because none of his movies were as good as The Godfather, or calling Scorcese a one-hit wonder because nothing was as good as Raging Bull.
Granted, Welles was never given the creative and financial freedom that he was given on Kane, but that is because of the immense controversy that came with Kane, not with Welles' talent.

Josh W

Agent
When I think of a big one hit directing wonder, Kevin Costner's Dances With Wolves comes to mind.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Braveheart - Mel Gibson

(We could probably find several actors that could vie for this role, since they often get a chance to direct large projects without having extensive past experience.)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that Mel is going to make a few more good movies, but as of right now, he is one for one.
Frank Darabont (Has since directed the Green Bile and It's a Wonderful Ripoff)
John Singleton
Phil Alden Robinson
Wolfgang Petersen
Carl Franklin

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
You also didn't mention Welles' excellent The Trial
Missed so far is the best of 'em all that I can think of, and this guy, unfortunately, only got the chance to make 1 movie:
Charles Laughton Night Of The Hunter

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Missed so far is the best of 'em all that I can think of, and this guy, unfortunately, only got the chance to make 1 movie:
Charles Laughton Night Of The Hunter
Yes, a good one!
I'll put forth another director who only made 1 movie. It was his pride and joy, a dream come true for him, and it was/is a brilliant, beautiful film, but it bombed ("thanks" to stupid critics and ignorant moviegoers), and he never directed another:
Walter Murch's Return to Oz

DeeF

Screenwriter
Marlon Brando directed a movie,

One-Eyed Jacks

It was good, too. Stanley Kubrick was fired from it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think that Mel is going to make a few more good movies, but as of right now, he is one for one.
Hey, let's not forget about The Man Without A Face. Decent, if not spectacular. And you've got to give him credit for getting Passion made.

I'd vote for Jan de Bont. Speed was a great movie, but since...

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Wolfgang Petersen also directed THE NEVERENDING STORY and AIR FORCE ONE. Granted, AF1 isn't a classic, but it was popular.

What about Stephen Lisberger? TRON rocked!

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Hey, let's not forget about The Man Without A Face. Decent, if not spectacular. And you've got to give him credit for getting Passion made.
Well, we are talking about directors with one "hit", which I don't think TMWAF was (although I can't speak to it's quality since I've not seen it). And Passion is yet to be tested...

And I might agree on Jan du Bont, except Twister was a hit...though its quality was a bit lacking.

(great...now we're into what constitutes a "hit"...)

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
I'd agree on Walter Murch. I didn't mean to side-track the discussion, but I was having diffculty in my own head deciding how to define one-hit-wonder.

Perhaps if we say "one-outstanding-film-wonder", whether or not it's a hit.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I don't think it was a hit, but it is a hilarious black comedy...
Michael Winner directed a film called I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name starring Oliver Reed and Orson Welles.
It's available on DVD from Anchor Bay and I would recommend it.
I don't think Winner has directed anything else of note, has he?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks