Director Roland Joffe Talks About THE MISSION DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Randy A Salas, May 12, 2003.

1. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

I recently interviewed director Roland Joffe about the new two-disc special edition of his 1986 Oscar-winning film, The Mission. As I promised in the thread for Ron's dandy review of that DVD, here are some assorted comments by the director from the interview that I didn't have room to use in my write-up.

Roland Joffe ...

On what a well-presented special edition this is:

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Looks good, Randy. I heard a story about the Coens and how they were supposed to cast retrospective interivews hosted by Billy Bob Thornton (in character from "The Man Who Wasn't There") on both films but decided not to at the last minute. Apparently, their moods -- as you'd expect -- are very mercurial.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks Randy for the interview

[​IMG]

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

5. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

Actually, the Coens did have some participation in the making of the "Barton Fink" and "Miller's Crossing" DVDs. They approved or rejected a variety of supplemental material presented to them by Fox. They also supplied storyboards, as seen in the featurette "Shooting Miller's Crossing." Fox wanted them to be involved, but they were understandably busy with "Intolerable Cruelty."

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The new DVD edition of THE MISSION is outstanding, really worth buying, in my opinion. The day before I watched it, I coincidentally watched Herzog's COBRA VERDE and the two films are very similar, both equally fascinating and emotionally moving.

Warner did a great job on THE MISSION.

Cheers, Randy. [​IMG]

Gordy

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

8. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Great post. Very interesting comments. I wish Joffe got a bit more attention in the industry; he deserves it.

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Regardless, I'm looking forward to both Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink with baited breath and I'm glad that there are at least a few extras. Now where's that 16x9 Raising Arizona re-do?