What's new

Digital recording from analog source? (1 Viewer)

Frank Chang

Agent
I'm purchasing a new AVR with digital inputs. I want to record some old analog records to minidisc. Will connect minidisc to AV Receiver with optical cable but turntable connected to AVR with analog RCA cables. Can I use the optical input or do I need to use the analog inputs into my minidisc recorder?

Are the optical and coax inputs interchangeable? If I use coax or optical input (into AV Reciever) from a DVD do I need to use the same type out to a recorder? The AVR's seem to have limited Digital outputs.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
MD is meant to have either a Digital or an analog recording source, but you can only Play back in Analog.

If you record from a coax input, you don't have to play back on the same output.

Sam

Frank Chang

Agent
My question was if I am using an analog turntable connected to say a Denon 3802 via analog RCA phono input, do I need analog cables to the minidisc inputs or will the signal be transmitted thru optical cables if they are the only ones connected to the input of the minidisc?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
It may depend upon your receiver but, at least in my case, when I use the analog connection from my turntable into my receiver, I then use the analog (tape out) connection into my MD recorder. In other words, it doesn't convert an analog signal to a digital signal (and vice versa).

As for recording from DVD, the copy protection will prevent you from recording digitally to your MD recorder. I think you'd need to have analog connectors from your DVD player to your receiver and then you can record to MD via the analog connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks