What's new

Digital Audio Drop-outs. Is it my receivers fault or is it my DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I use my Panasonic DVD CV51 to play CD's using an optical cable connected to my SR 6200. Inbetween tracks, the SR 6200 loses the digital signal and clicks off, then when the next track starts, it clicks on again, but it cuts off at least 1/4 to a 1/2 second of audio. If the song starts right away, you might hear "aAANNGG" instead of "BAAANNG". know what I mean? It's really annoying. Which is responsible for this crime? Is it the receiver or the DVD player?

Carl R

Grip
Chris,
I have the same problem with my Rotel RSX-965 and Pioneer DV-535 dvd-player, connected with a Supra Trico coax cable. Being a music lover, it drives me insane to have the initial attack cut off so I choose to listen through the analog inputs. Unfortunately, the dvd-player emits a faint high pitched whine through its analog outputs so it's not so nice to listen to at loud volumes. I've resorted to my 13-year-old Denon cd-player (which doesn't whine like that, but have DACs from the Jurassic period) for music. I auditioned the Rotel with an Arcam CD72 in the store and it blew the Rotel's internal DAC away, so I'm planning to get an Arcam cd-player in the near future and the problem will be forgotten.
There is sometimes an audible click (at loud volumes) when a dvd changes from say DD 5.1 to Dolby Surround, but that is perhaps normal. The digital signal indicator in the receiver display blinks at those points because of the signal switch. However, it stays on between cd tracks, so I find it difficult to say whether it's the receiver or the dvd-player that causes the drop out.
There are sometimes loud clicks when navigating through menus on a dvd, something that I've read on the net is the dvd-player's fault.
Anyway, I have yet to try another dvd-player with my receiver so I wouldn't say it's the recevier's fault that the audio drops out. It might be the dvd-player, considering its other shortcomings. Cheap Pioneer crap. Maybe another player won't have this problem so if you solve your problem by changing your player or perhaps another receiver unit, please post here again.
Cheers
Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks