What's new

Dewalt Plunge Router for DIY (1 Viewer)

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I have been waiting for some of the better plunge routers to come on sale and boy did I get a steal. I read a few days back on this site that Lowes was selling the Dewalt DW621 for $135.00. Last night I went to Lowes but all they had left was the floor model:angry: . This morning I went to Home Depot to see if they would price match.
I went up to two men who worked for Home Depot and asked if they price match. One said they do. So I told them I found the Dewalt router on sale at Lowes for $135.00. One said that was a closeout price and I wouldn't get the match but the other man said he would call and find out. The gods were smilling on me today. I was able to get the price match and an extra 10% off. To make things even better the cashier rung up the 10% extra off price and I got another 10% off. I got this router for approx. $108.00;) .
I just wanted to give the heads up for people who were thinking about buying a router for a DIY speaker.
Daniel T.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Wow! That router combined with a Jasper jig make the best speaker-building tool I own...or can imagine. Nice deal, you'll love using it.

ScottZol

Auditioning
Nice timing. I've been looking at routers for about a month now, and was thinking about the cheapo $70 dollar sears model. Thanks for the post.

Mel Silva

Agent
Sears in my area was just recently closing out the Porter-Cable 693 Router kit. This includes both bases for a plunge router and a standard router. It also has both 1/4" and 1/2" collets and runs 1&1/2 HP. See
Porter-Cable 693 . The only thing I wish it had was variable speed, but for $169, it's a steal, since it really is two of the most popular routers in one that retail for $199.
Mel

Michael Lynch

Auditioning
I went to Lowes also and all they had left was the floor model of the Dewalt DW621. The Home Depots around me don't seem to carry Dewalt routers.

As far as router kits go, is it better to get just a plunge router or are these kits worth the flexability?

Since the DW621 was highly recommended and now seems to be discontinued, what other routers should be considered?

Thanks,
Mike

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Gents, I recently saw a DeWalt ad in a woodworking magazine that pictures a new line of routers, so that's why the closeout deal at Lowe's I guess. There will be a replacement for the DW621. The dust collection port, IMHO, is mandatory for routing MDF.

Michael Lynch

Auditioning
On the Dewalt website, I don't see any new "plunge routers"
only the kits that have both the fixed and plunge bases.
Is this the way tool companies are going now? Does the interchangeable bases pose any problems, accuracy??
Or should I look for just a plunge router by itself although not too many have the dust collection feature.

Thanks,
Mike

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mike, if you buy a quality brand plunge router it will be accurate enough. Just compare the "slop" in a $50 router with something like the DeWalt.
Now I'm going to suggest an alternate:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=552872
This Freud router is in the Laminate Trimmer section of the Routers at Amazon.com. It has two fixed bases for laminate trimming (straight and angled) and a large plunge base AND it has a dust port. I have a Chinese knock-off of the basic plunge router and I've used it to cut nearly all of my circles - I leave my Jasper jig attached to it. It's not as heavy/bulky as the larger routers and works great. If I like the successor to the DeWalt DW621, I'll probably buy it, but this Freud looks like a good way to save some money. I have the 3 14/ HP Freud monster mounted in my router table and it works great.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Yep, that is the one I am talking about. I have not used it though.

FYI: They also have a 1-3/4HP model (DW616PK) for $199 but it doesn't have variable speed.

Ronnie

Michael Lynch

Auditioning
Hank, Thanks for the recommendation. The Freud FT1000EK does have the dust collection port which I didn't believe at first for being so small. It looks a lot like the Craftsman All-In-One Cutting Tool (no dust port) that I've seen on TV so much.
For the 150 dollar price of the FT1000EK, I wish I found the Dewalt on clearance before they were all gone.
When you say you have a knock off, is it of the FT1000EK you recommended or is it of a different Freud Plunge. Sorry for the confusion, I'm just wondering which the circle jig is on and if it would work with the FT1000EK.

From all of your other posts you recommend getting a well made tool than getting a cheaper not so well made one. From your experience would you get the FT1000EK or would you look into the new Dewalt one first noting the 50 to 100 dollar price difference. (I'm in the middle of building some bookshelf speakers and will probably build a sub and other bookshelves after)

Thanks,
Mike

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I bought the knock-off when I needed a driver/port/terminal cup router but wasn't convinced that I should deal with the bulk/weight of the DW621. My intent was to use only 1/4" spiral and laminate trimmer bits, which really doesn't require high horsepower. The cheapie was from Harbor Freight (I know, don't flame me, especially you, Bunge), and was only $39, but it had a dust port. I figured it would last a year and by that time other manufacturers would wise up and incorporate dust ports and I'd have more of a choice.
Well, the cheapie is still going, and when it does bite the dust (ouch!) I'll move up to either that FT1000EK Freud or the new DeWalt.
My best advice: if this will be your only router, go ahead and spend more for higher horsepower. If you intend to have a high horsepower router for heavy work (larger diameter bits/use on hardwood) AND a router for cutting holes and trimming laminate/veneer, seriously consider the small Freud.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Now that I'm quite addicted to this DIY nonsense, I'm going to ask my folks for a plunge router (cheapie) for Christmas. I used Hank's Harbor Freight cheapie, and I liked it quite a bit (pun intended). I can't find it on the harbor freight website anymore, though. They have a different model for the same price. I'll probably end up getting that one. My intent is to use only 1/4" spiral and laminate trimmer bits.

Hank: I got the impression that the stock jasper jig didn't mate with this router "out of the box". How did you make the 3rd hole with the correct angled countersink? Just a normal countersink drill bit?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jeff: Skill and cunning. Acutally, two of the holes in the router base lined up with two of the holes in the Jasper jig and a third hole in the jig didn't quite line up, so I massaged it with a countersink.

BTW, I see that Harbor has factory reconditioned DW621's for $149.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks