What's new

Denon Dvd-900; not too happy (1 Viewer)

Sumir B

Agent
Guys my Toshiba 65hx82 arrived yesterday and I just realized that I don't have a progressive scan dvd player!
Regardless we hooked up the three year old sony dvd player using av cables and watched LotR. Sadly I was not too impressed:frowning: . The picture was very fuzzy and not sharp at all(this was expected though).
I assumed that this was because of not having a p-scan dvd player so the first thing I did today was go to my local Tweeter to buy one.
There I decided on the Denon DV-900 with $70 monster cables.
After I hooked it up the first thing I did was pop in LotR to notice how good progressive scan is. Initial impressions were yes it definatly was sharp but it was not like other TVs that I have seen at the store.
So should i
A) Wait a while then get the TV calibrated by an ISF tech
B) Get a new Dvd player in the similar price range
C) Get better video cables(they were trying to pitch me some $200 monster vid cables!!!)
D) Other...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I believe the answer is D, although an ISF calibration should be in your future plans. A few thoughts:
- Do you have a calibration disc, such as Avia or Video Essentials. You should get a good picture after calibrating with one of them. A couple of months later, the ISF calibration can take it to yet another level.
- What video output were you using on the old player, Composite, S-Video, or Component (interlaced)? I would expect a better picture than what I interpret you as describing if you used interlaced component inputs to the TV.
- Was the TV set to the appropriate mode when you used the Denon via progressive? I don't know anything about the Toshiba, so I will refer you to whatever the manual says (or the next person to post in this thread :) ).
Doug

Sumir B

Agent
Thanks for the reply.

I am using the HD inputs on the TV so running the Denon on progressive mode should be right.

I also have found the reason why the colors were washed out and learned that the DVD player sets black level at some number and you can disable it once you have started the movie. This ,however, is really inconvenient.

That coupled with the fact that the player is really noisy(i can clearly hear it even during scenes of loud sound) kind of makes me want to return it for a different player.

But yes I do have avia and will run it once I get around a 100 or so hours on the TV to break it in.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Sumir,

By mode, I was referring to the TV's picture mode, which usually has a few settings that can be cycled via the remote. A setting such as "Movie" is usually desirable for DVD movies.

It is not necessary to wait before calibrating with Avia. In fact, it's recommended to do it right away. High picture or contrast settings need to be toned down immediately. I don't believe there is much of any break-in with a TV. If you have read about waiting some time before calibration, this is really targeted at ISF calibrations, but primarily because there is an infant mortality rate associated with electronics in general. Why spend a few hundred bucks on an ISF calibration the first week if a key system in the TV fails during the second week, which will then require recalibration after the TV is fixed.

Doug

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Definitely tame the factory picture settings. Watch your Toshiba in the "Theater" mode, where the factory settings are already reduced to more reasonable levels.

You mentioned you had your earlier DVD player connected via A/V cables. A composite connection rarely looks good, and it definitely will look kind of subpar blown up to 65 inches.

Always use component-video connections.

What set does the Toshiba replace? If you're used to small direct-view sets, you will have to acclimate yourself to the more-revealing RPTV experience.

Finally, calibrate immediately with AVIA or Video Essentials. But wait a few hundred hours before calling an ISF tech; the CRTs need to become "seated" first, so there is some break-in required.

And have you converged the set yet?

Sumir B

Agent
Have not done the 56-point convergance set yet, but the 1st thing I did do was tame down the contrast of the set( from one hundred to 30). I also did use the avia dvd after we hooked up the DVD-900, but yes the toshiba is replacing a 11 year old 36in sony direct view. Well I decided to rewatch The Royal Tenebaums and I was blown away, but sadly the annoying noise of the player has driven me crazy and I will be returning it for a differnt one. Any suggestions for a player of equivalent price?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Exchange it for one of the same model. That sounds like a defective machine you got. Its motor shouldn't be that audible. (Smaller, less-expensive players tend to draw more attention to motor noise, but that Sony is not one of them. It may be inexpensive, but it's certainly not "cheap.")

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Jack,
I believe he has the Denon 900. Sumir, try the Panasonic RP62. It costs less and has the same video section as the Denon. As a matter of fact, Panasonic makes the Denon 900. I had the rp62 for a while and it wasn't noisy for me. I had it hooked up to my 16:9 and it put out a great picture. Also, for around$200-$230 you should look at the Panasonic RP82 which adds DVD-Audio and the superior MPEG decoder(better color depth) of the higher priced Panasonic RP91. It has an even better picture than the Denon900/RP62 (at least IMHO). Good luck.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Hello Sumir. Congrats for the new TV, I got the 65HDX82 too. Be patient, this TV is really improving over time. I'm almost at 300 hours now, and the difference from day 1 is impressive!! This set needs a real break-in period.

The Sat SD brodcast was grainy for the first 100 hours, but now the picture is incredible. Denon DVD-3800 and this TV gives an incredible PQ for DVD. HD is out of this world (HD-DVD where are you??).

Just be patient, after 150 hours, just do a 56 pt convergence, and think about an ISF calibration.

Have fun!!

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I had a change to view Pearl Harbor on the DVD-900 and yikes! That player's picture is way too soft!

Sumir B

Agent
Yes it is, which is why I returned and have decided to get a Panny RP82. I will post about it once it arrives:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks