What's new

Denon 5800 owner! what would you do! (1 Viewer)

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
My 5800 die two days ago after 8 months, the machine would not turn on. It turns on for 5 sec and it shut down and the standby light flash (i try everything, reset it unplug all cable same thing happen).
Here is the question.
My dealer would give me a replacement on the same model (the unit only) or i can choose a lower model 4802 brand new in the box (if i choose this i will have an extra remote). I am using all 7 channel external amp. so power on the unit is not a matter. so should i choose the 4802 with extra feature (like adj crossover, prologicII, dts24/96 etc... or get the 5800 again (and spent hundreds later on upgrades) (I use those as preamp only) I know the 4802 is a lower model and hundreds less.
If you were me what will you choose? I am heading to the dealer today to get the replacement.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
contact a denon tech rep and find out if the analog preout section is the same for both units, or if there is a quality differance between them

Earl_C

Agent
You might want to try the new unit. The 5800 might not ever even sniff PLII!
------------------

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I would be very cautious..
It is my understanding that the pre-amp section between the two is different.
I have no way to confirm but MathewJS above gave good advice. Research it.
While I feel DPLII is important (and I am 99% sure it will happen for the 5800) it is no reason to sacrifice audio quality if that is the case.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
Can he give you a loaner 4802 to try out? By now you should have the sound of the 5800 dialed into your brain/ears right?

Earl_C

Agent
How much different can the two units be? If there is to be a 5802, I'm sure it'll be based off the 4802's more current design. Besides, PLII is much better than ProLogic. How much better can the 5800 be with the amps taken out of the equation?
------------------

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know now! I like 2 channel music a lot, and one feature on the 5800 is very desiable over the 4802 is that when in pure direct mode it use 4 DACs per channel for left and 4 DACs for right and the 4802 doesn't have this feature, for the rest i think the 4802 offer a bit more. Still can't decide. i hope the 4802 is not out then i don't have to scratch my head to make this decision, i am still like the 5800 a lot, i will decide in the next few hours.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Hi Tan,,
I also use my Denon 5800 as a pre/pro mated with the Parasound 2205 and 3500 and love it.
However as mentioned if there is a difference in the processing of the two,,I would be very cautious of giving up on the 5800.
I am also anticipating the Denon 5800 upgrade and at this point can't see Denon 'not' going forward with it.
Good Luck!,,
The first Denon 5800 I ordered had the exact problem you are having now but right out of the box.
frown.gif

------------------
Trevor..
Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
I finally make my decision and get the 5800 again, i did a A/B comparion in 2 ch. performance in puredirect mode with my own music in the dealer with the 4802 match with a 2 channel amp, and i find the 5800 sound better. i didn't compare the rest of the processing. and one more feature i can't give up is that the 5800 has 2 7.1 input, and i will need these inputs, and i am still using Laserdisc player and RF digital input is a must have and i just find out the 4802 doesn't have it.
Hi, Trevor
I almost has an identical setup like you but less power on the 2 ch. amp. I use the 5800 with parasound 2205 and parasound 1500.
Thanks for all advices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.