What's new

Denon 1802/HK AVR120/Mar SR5200/Onkyo 595??? (1 Viewer)

Max Zo

Auditioning
Hey guys, these are the receivers that I am considering buying that are in my price range. I was set on buying the SR5200, but after hearing problems w/ power rating and S-video, I am concerned. But this one has 6 channels albeit at a higher cost than the others, but no DTS-ES, which kinda sucks. The Onkyo is well received. The Denon looks very comparabe to the Onkyo. I'm surprised that the 1802 is not as popular as the 595 considering the Denon following on this forum. Recently I have looked into the HK AVR120. It also looks well equipped(more inputs) and is the cheapest of the four. The HK is 40x5 which worried me, but HK is known to give accurate, not overblown power ratings. Will this still be enough power? Are there other things I should consider? My room is not very big and since I live in an apartment, I cannot turn it up too loud. I listen to 75%HT/25%Music, but will use the reciever everyday for DPL2 for cable TV. For speakers, I am planning on either Norh 4.0 or Swan Divas. Any input would be apreciated.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
As the owner of a Denon AVR-1802, I can vouch for it as a quality HT receiver. However, all of the items you listed above are quite nice, and I would recommend giving each a listen with similar speakers in store if possible. The Denon does have pre-amp outs if you ever crave more power, which was a deciding factor in my purchase of the 1802....and yes, Denon's are VERY popular on this forum, and for good reason!
Reg

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Max, don't let the HK's power rating worry you. A couple of years ago I had an AVR500 (70Wx5) powering an Atlantic Technologies System 270THX. After that I went to an AVR310 (50Wx5). Although the volume level needs to be cranked higher, the 310 has no problems generating more than sufficient power in my 400 sq. ft. family room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks