What's new

Denon 1603 - source switching (1 Viewer)

jeff ha

Auditioning
I'm really a newbie here so forgive my ignorance...I'm in the process of setting up my first HT...

I've only got two sources running into my Denon 1603 - a Sony progressive scan DVD player, and a Motorolla digital cable box. In getting ready to plug everything in, I purchased a (1) component video cable to run from the DVD player to the TV, and 1 S video cable to run from the digital cable box to the TV. I've got everything hooked up and working fine...getting both sound and video from both sources. HOWEVER, the Denon appears to have the capability of acting as a switch these sources so that I could run the digital box and the DVD into the Denon and then out to the TV. Right now to switch between sources, I'm having to adjust both the Denon (for audio switching) and the TV (to switch video sources) so I'm looking for simiplicity.

Will running everything through the Denon receiver cut down on my video signal quality because of the added step in the process?

Also, for you Denon users out there, I'm not getting my 1603 to kick into DTS or Dolby Digital mode automatically on those source that are coded in those formats. In fact, I can't seem to get it out of Dolby Prologic II mode at all - even manually. What am I missing here? I'm assuming that when I put in a DD or DTS encoded disc, I should have the DTS or DD designated lights appear on my receiver since it is set in auto mode. FWIW, it sounds like the source is coming through in more than just Prologic mode. Will running the source components through the receiver help this in any way?

Bottom line, I probably just need to do some more experimenting but thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas for me.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, first you need to enable the bitstream output in your DVD player's setup menu. Or, if the menu lists Dolby Digital and DTS separately, enable them individually. Your Denon probably isn't receiving a DD or DTS signal yet.

As for switching simplicity, we all love that. But there is a chance for the signal to experience some degradation when adding yet another stage through which it must pass. Best, then, to route your DVD player's component-video output and the cable box's S-video output directly to the display.

jeff ha

Auditioning
Jack - thanks for your reply. I will do some more setup on the DVD player to get the DTS and DVD outputs enabled. I hadn't thought of looking at the DVD player as the culprit.

As for the connections...not having to buy another component video cable and S-Video cable will save me some money ;-) so I think I'll take your advice and keep them plugged directly into the TV.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks