What's new

DD/dts Bitstream Delay Unit (1 Viewer)

Steve Roberts

Auditioning
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a variable delay unit for the DD/dts bitstream out of the back of a DVD player?

I've got a few friends with projectors and scalers or with plasma displays and their pictures are delayed by anything up to 2 frames by the framestores in these devices. The upshot of this is that the pictures are then late with respect to the audio, which results in a very noticeable lipsync error.

I know that some high-end amps allow every channel to be delayed, but most amps don't have this facility. It seems to me that there would be a huge market for an in-line delay unit, which simply plugged between DVD player and amplifier and allowed the user to dial in a predetermined amount of delay.

Does such a unit already exist?

Steve

J

John Morris

Steve: Maybe they can just use the delays in their pre/pro. They might be able to do this by setting their speaker distances the appropriate distance farther/closer than they actually are, thus delaying the audio... hmmm now that I'm imaging this, maybe that wouldn't work afterall...?

Steve Roberts

Auditioning
That would work on a few amps, but most have one fixed delay and allow the other speakers to be timed relative to this. It wouldn't work on my Yamaha though...

It really needs to be a unit like I described, that delays the entire bitstream before it reaches the amp.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks