What's new

DD/DTS 5.1 Output in a 7.1 system? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mac

Auditioning
Hi All,
I've just added a couple of power amplifiers to my Onkyo 787 (using the Onkyo's 7.1 preouts) in effect turning the Onkyo into a processor to create a 7.1 speaker system. I have read a lot on this forum about DD EX and how the extra channel channel is matrixed across the two back speakers. My question is what sound are you getting out of the back two speakers when you put on a plain old DD or DTS 5.1 source? Is the amp just sending be left surround output to both the left surround and left back speakers and right output to the right surround and right back speakers, or is something else happening?

thanks,
Stephen

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
stephen,

even with non-encoded ex/es software, the decoder will at least try to decode something...

it's very likely, that with non-encoded material the surround back channel will become quite ostensible. in worst case most of surround left/right channel seperation is gone and soundinformation collapses completely in the back surround(s).

regards, holger

p.s. you might want to check the *5.1 vs 7.1* thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks