What's new

Wanting to go Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I am an old HT enthusiast that is trying to get back in the game a little. My T.V. in my theater room is only 1080i (Mits. WS-65907). I have done some reading lately to try and figure out what to do to go blu ray without buying a new T.V. A projector is in my future but not right now. As for my sound system it is dated as well and has no HDMI connections (Denon 3803).

Here is how I understand my options:

1. I can get 1080i via componenet cables from a PS3 or other standalone blu ray player.

2. I cannot upconvert my current SD DVD's because I have no HDMI or DVI connections.

3. I can listen to DD or DTS via toslink or optical from PS3 or standalone player.

4. I cannot get the new sound formats because I do not have HDMI connections on my reciever.

Is there a Blu Ray player out there or soon to be out there that will decode the new sound formats via 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs or upconvert my SD DVD's through component outputs? Or even better yet a player that would do both. If not, is a PS3 my best option? I am not a gamer but what the heck if this is going to do everything that any of the stanalones would do then I may as well get it.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Does the Denon have 5 channel analog inputs? If so, you can get a BD player which outputs via 5 channel analog. That alone will give you 5 channel lossless PCM and Dolby TruHD (if the BD player can internally decode it). I think the Panny BD50 coming out this year can internally decode DTS-MA and send it over 5 channel analog as well. Food for thought... No BD player can upconvert via component as long as it is a legit copyrighted disc.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Hopefully the BD50 will have 7.1 channel analog outs, as the initial Panasonic press release hinted at this (it talks of matching with a 7.1 channel amplifier for full 7.1 sound). In which case, it will pair nicely with the Denon 3803 which has 7.1 analog inputs.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Sony has just officially announced two players, including one that has ALL the advanced audio codecs decoded internally AND 7.1 analogue outputs (BDP-S550). I see this as a direct competitor (for 500$ list) with the Panasonic BD-50. I was planning to jump in with the PS3 and live without the advanced audio (I don't have an HDMI receiver and I don't want to upgrade right now) but with the Panny, and now Sony, offering everything I want in a Blu-ray player, I will wait until they are both available (unless I win the lotto, in which case I'll buy the Denon 3800, just because I could) before making a final choice. If I'm not mistaken, the Panny and Sony will each be Profile 2.0 and they will have the analogue outputs I really want. As long as they are not plagued with major bugs/flaws, then one of those will be on my shelf between Christmas and New Years (my wife already said she'd get me a Blu-ray player to go with the HD DVD one she bought me for this past Christmas).

I can wait that long.

Really, I can.

I mean it.:laugh:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As a PS3 owner I would recommend...holding off until the BD50 and BDP-S550 are out before making a decision.

I'm real happy with the PS3 but since I don't plan on upgrading my HDMI-less receiver any time soon, I'd really want internal advanced audio codec decoding (output via 5.1 or 7.1 outs) done by the player. If this were 6+ months ago I'd recommend the PS3. But the BD50 and S550 are so close to being out, I'm now changing my recommendation to "wait for the new models".

Unless: 1) gaming is important to you, and 2) you don't care much for DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD, in which case I'd say: buy the PS3! :D

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Panasonic will be out before the Sony, and the Panasonic players have been pretty rock solid. Personally I haven't been that impressed with Sony's stand alone players (PS3 is a different story, its a very nice player, but no multichannel outputs), so at this stage I would have no problems buying a Panasonic BD-50 when it is released, but it never hurts to wait for both and compare.

Robert, for as confusing as some of this can be it's nice to see that you are back in the saddle so quickly :) .

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much for the help. I am very tempted to get the PS3 right now and use it until the Panny BD50 or the Sony S550 come out. I am planning a flat screen for my living room later in the year so I could use the PS3 for that when the time comes. I will not be needing the new sound formats down there so it seems logical. Another advantage will be that the PS3 will be more likely to get used for gaming in the living room. Thanks again guys.

Adam, thanks for the compliment. It is kind of difficult when you sit out for over three years. But, just as addictive as ever! :) Having children tends to take a toll on your hobbies. But she's getting to the age now where I can start introducing it to her. I have a feeling that HT will be even better than before.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
One last question. Will either of these two machines provide bass management? My 3802(I wrongly typed 3803 in the original post) will not do bass management through the 5.1 inputs.

wally

Second Unit
Hi Robert,

I've got a 3 year old set up close to yours; Denon 2805, Sony KDF-55WF655 (w/HDMI), and 7.1 Klipsch on the speaker end. I’d gone round and round for almost a year and finally took the plunge with the PS3 about a month ago. My philosophy was like yours, jump in now and move the PS3 upstairs when we go HD in the family room. Then get the standalone BR player with 7.1 analog outs for the theater.

I think that’s changed due to the fact the PS3 is sooooo cool. I’m very temped to replace the Denon with an HDMI model so I can keep all the Blu-ray, HD gaming, HD download, up scaling, media hub goodness downstairs.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks