What's new

DC Area theaters (1 Viewer)

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if there are any theaters in the DC area that screen older films? I've always wanted to see older releases how they were originally presented.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
While we are on the topic:

Does anyone know of any GOOD theaters in northern Virginia? I have been disappointed in some aspect of each theater I have been in, but by and large it seems like no one wants to turn up the sound at most of the theaters in this area.

Jack Walsh

Auditioning
Definitely The Uptown Theater in NW DC on Connecticut Ave. Best theater in the area. Nice HUGE screen and terrific sound. Was built in the 30's, I think, but was renovated in 1996 for the re-release of Vertigo. The Two Towers just rocked in this place.

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
The Uptown is a good theater. I saw Contact there.

Chris, there is a THX certified room in the Springfield Mall theater. It used to sound awesome, but last few times I went there the sub sounded like it was bottoming out.

Jeff, does The Senator play older movies?

Todd K

Second Unit
Todd,

To answer your original question -- yes.

However, I don't know exactly where. A professor friend of mine would frequently tell me about classic films he had seen on the big screen. I think they might have been free, too. However, I can't think of where it was, and this professor is now travelling incommunicado somewhere in Europe.

I think it was either at the Library of Congress, or one of the Smithsonians.

After doing a google search, I did find this:

http://lcweb.loc.gov/rr/mopic/pickford/pickford.html

This could be it, but you might want to call the above places to see if they have any other offerings.

>>Does anyone know of any GOOD theaters in northern Virginia?
>>I have been disappointed in some aspect of each theater
>> I have been in
Same with me, tried a lot of theaters. But now I always go to AMC - Hoffman Center, Alexandria, and ask for big screen.

RafaelB

Second Unit
The AMC Hoffman Theatres are quickly becoming the best place to see movies IMO. Almost as good as the Uptown and definitely less expensive than the new Loews Cineplax Georgetown theatres.

Rafael

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Senator would be the closest thing to an "oldies" theater. They are an independant, and show what they want between blockbusters.

As for good movie theaters in NVA:

Regal Ballston: Probably the best of the Regals in NVA. The only one I know that runs independant films on a regular basis.

AMC Hoffman: I've only been there once (since it isn't convienent for me), but it is quite an impressive facillity.

UA Fairfax Towne Center: an older multiplex without stadium seating, but my default since it is close to my work.

Jason

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I have been to AMC Hoffman several times. I was really disappointed in the audio...maybe it was just who was running the film, but it wasn't loud enough. Directionality wasn't that great either.

The Springfield Mall does have a THX auditorium, but I wasn't impressed with that theater either.

The DLP screen in the Northern Virginia area (can't remember the location) is actually not a bad little auditorium. I love the leather seats too.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Another useful thing to try is looking in the local alternative weekly. In DC, that seems to be the "Washington City Paper". Here's a link to their movie listings for the week:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/s...showtimes.html

The American City Diner looks like fun, but I can't tell whether it's film or projected video from the website (also, the screen's only 8x8, but it's probably a pretty small room).

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the American Film Institute. Also, there are several colleges and a ton of museums in the area, and I imagine some would have film series.

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
The DLP screen in the Northern Virginia area (can't remember the location) is actually not a bad little auditorium. I love the leather seats too.
Are you referring to the large multiplex in Merrifield? I haven't viewed a film on their DLP screen. I waited, waited and waited and missed AOTC there.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Are you referring to the large multiplex in Merrifield? I haven't viewed a film on their DLP screen. I waited, waited and waited and missed AOTC there.
Indeed. It is called the Lee Highway Multiplex. I saw AOTC three times in DLP there...it was really cool.

SteveP

Second Unit
I have a very fond memory of seeing a 4-track magnetic stereo print of GIGI at the AFI theatre in the Kennedy Center in about 1976.

On the same trip, I was lucky enough to catch 2001 at the Uptown in 70MM. At the time the Uptown had a curved Cinerama or Dimension 150 type screen (which I hope it still does--too few of them are left) so I would assume that it had undergone some kind of refurbishment in the late '50's or early '60's.

Being a Manhattanite without my own vehicle, I do recall that the bus connections were MURDER!

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Ha, Uptown...great memories. I used to live down the street in the Kennedy Warren.. Also, my old boss at Potomac Video next door to Uptown used to hook me up with screenings of the occasional oldie at Tenleytown.. Unfortunately that was for me and ssome people, maybe they'll be gracious enough for a stranger.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget the best independent theater in the land...Visions Cinema Bistro!

They're showing North by Northwest on February 12 and typically show some kick ass midnight movies on the weekends (this month is Donnie Darko). Check them out at www.visionsdc.com.

As for the AMC Hoffman 22, it is impressive from a design point of view. Unfortunately, it suffers from all the bad stuff inherent with most theater chains (inept projectionists, iffy sound, etc).

Oh yeah, don't go there on a weekday before 6pm and park anywhere but in the designated lot because you'll be towed.

De

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Yeah, I saw AOTC at that Digital theater, it was pretty cool, but I wasn't too impressed with anything other than the screen. No cup holders, squeaky seats, needs renovation.

Springfield Mall theaters, used to be owned by General Cinema, AMC took over. Haven't been there in a long time, it's alright I guess.

But the place to go is definitely the AMC Hoffman. That place just rocks. But it's a pretty popular theater, so make sure you get your tickets early and parking can definitely be a problem. Parking's huge, but the Hoffman gets a lot of people...

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
But the place to go is definitely the AMC Hoffman.
I agree with Dewitte on this one: the Hoffman is well designed but I have not been to a single viewing where the sound impressed me at all.

I think the Hoyts in Manassas is 100 times better than Hoffman in terms of sound/picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks