What's new

Dark City Director's Cut in 2006 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, already into the 2nd half of 2006 and no word yet on a release date. I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen.

And Proyas isn't directing a movie that will be released this year (or next)
and that dampens my hope for a dual release of an older film to coincide with the new film. :frowning:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I just bought it (current disc, obviously) for something like $6, and haven't gotten aroudn to watching it yet. I watched it years ago at a friend's place, on LD so that would tell you how long ago it was, but IIRC with the time taken to "settle down", I don't remember hearing a VO and was surprised at the ending. Which now I barely have any recollection of anyway.

So: if I want to "mute" the VO, when do I start playing with sound, to "avoid the spoilers"?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
When I attended Ebertfest '06 earlier this year, I overheard Roger mentioning that he'd already recorded a new commentary for the "Director's Cut" DVD, so it should be happening sooner than we think.

(...Unfortunately, "sooner than we think" is still gonna be too damned long.)

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Thank you for the news, Jerome...

... But I'm worried that Alex Proyas is doing a 'George Lucas' here. Let's hope they include both the original and the 'refurbished' versions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
+1 re: including both cuts.

I am very eager to see the new cut of the film. That said, I absolutely loved the original theatrical version and would hope that they include both on the Blu Ray. And also, if they do that, please keep both Ebert commentaries (new and old).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I have always had issues with the original theatrical cut of this film. It's an absolutely gorgeous film to watch, but in the end very disengaging and the plot seems to wrap itself up to quickly in order to meet a certain runtime. For those reasons, I can honestly say that I don't care for this film and it's one of the only films that I strongly disagree with Roger Ebert on. I have tried several times and each time, I end up with the same opinion.

If the new cut is significantly different, then I am more than willing to give it another spin.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Why do they need to change it? The FX are fine, the score is fine, the pace worked as it was. I mean no film is perfect, I'm just kind of tired of unnecessary "enhancements".

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
There are statements by Proyas floating around that he had a more relaxed pacing in mind. The theatrical cut is the most absurdly fast-paced movie you could ever want to see, bordering on movie-trailer brevity. I can definitely see where adjustments are in order. While I don't look forward to good films being tinkered with, I think Dark City has everything to gain from refurbishment.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It's mentioned several times in the commentary and behind the scenes though, that the rapid cutting was done intentionally, to put the viewer in the same 'confused' state of mind as John, having no memory, and not knowing what the heck is going on.

As the film progresses, and he starts getting a handle on things, the rapid cutting slows down to reflect this.

Interesting that a deliberate styilistical choice would be 'tinkered' with.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its ironic that the film Ebert did his first commentary ever for may also end up being the LAST film he ever does commentary for if he decides to not undergo that final surgery to restore his voice.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think it's telling that Ebert loved this film enough to do not one, but two commentaries. While I support Proyas's right to make and release his "director's cut" of the film, I do hope that the original stays intact and is released. And yes I'm one of those who hates the VO at the beginning so the original cut is by no means perfect. But it is the cut of the film I fell in love with and I do hope it's preserved, warts and all.

Actually here's a thought to what would make a "perfect" Dark City Blu Ray for me:

1. The original cut of the film, with two distinct soundtrack options: the original soundtrack, and one that's exactly the same except with the opening narration omitted.

2. The director's cut of the film.

3. Any extras Proyas & Co. want to put on.

Am I being too selfish? :D

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I see that there is a cover released for the DVD. OK, but how about word on what we will get? I am so so nervous about what will happen to the music score.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

Thanks, been luring in this thread and had not seen the cover.

Me see cover

Me see release date

Me see DVD, me buy

:alien:

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Can a mod change the title of this thread to read "Dark City Director's Cut coming to SD/BD on July 29th, 2008!"? Pretty Please with a cherry on top? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks