What's new

Dario Argento's FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET Announced for 2009! (1 Viewer)

to_the_9

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot
Reported by various sources over the past few days, it appears as though Mya Communication will release this supposedly "lost" film on February 24, 2009, completely remastered and uncut. Special features include theatrical and teaser trailers, English-language opening and ending credits, and a lengthy poster/photo gallery. Here is the official artwork (I'm so happy they stuck with the original graphics) and synopsis:

Roberto (Michael Brandon) is a young handsome drummer playing in a rock band. For the last week he has been stalked by a mysterious guy with dark sunglasses. Roberto decides to put an end to this and follows his stalker in a deserted theatre. He confronts the man and accidentally kills him. At the same time, another mysterious stalker, with a weird mask, appears and takes pictures of the accidental murder. For Roberto and his girlfriend Mina (Mimsy Farmer) it's the beginning of a nightmare, and more murders will ensue soon.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This Mya company is apparently No Shame resurrected, which is good news as we can never have too many Euro releases. They've got a couple Fulci and D'Amato titles as well. Now if we can just get an uncut TENEBRE.

Calling this film "lost" is a bit of a stretch as countless grey market and even a R2 release have been out there but I think this is the first official one.

to_the_9

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot

And expensive! Between these 2 titles, the 3 re-releases for "Friday the 13th", and "Yentl" finding its way on Region 1, I'm getting overwhelmed!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
According to a thread at Mobius the new disc has the same running time as the old one. Apparently AB also took the cheap way out when making it 16x9. I can't post the link as it takes you directly to Mobius' site but go to the Euro section and you'll find the thread on page 4.

Marc Morris broke the news about FOUR at the thread below. You can check out this link and see cover art for future releases including Argento's DOOR INTO DARKNESS.

USA: EXCLUSIVE! Four Flies on Grey Velvet coming to USA DVD - Cult Movie Forums | DVD + Blu-ray News + Discussion

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A double feature of FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET and YENTL...now, that would make for an interesting night.

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
Hopefully, Mya will re-release The Strange Vice of Dr. Wardh and Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. I was never able to pick them up before they went OOP and refuse to pay the ridiculous prices I've seen them go for at eBay and Amazon.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
It would be nice if they would reissue a version of DEATH WALKS ON HIGH HEELS that actually plays the last 15 minutes of the film. They once implied they were going to do a corrected replacement disc for that defective release, but they never did. It's no fun watching the first 94 minutes of a film and then you can't watch the ending no matter what player you try it on.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

No, the latest AB release of TENEBRAE is a fake 16:9 anamorphic upconvert of their old 4:3 letterboxed master from the 1990s, which was slightly cut in four or five places.

The "new" AB PHENOMENA is also a fake 16:9 anamorphic upconvert of their old 4:3 letterbox master from the 1990s.

In other words, Anchor Bay sucks.

Vincent

aguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfred Guy

What about the older AB releases of Tenebre and Phenomena that are OOP? Are they cut also?

Thanks.

aguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfred Guy

Was this a widespread problem? My disc plays fine.

Thanks.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Hold on to your copies. Apparently Argento himself has called foul about an impending Italian DVD release of the film stating that he owns the worldwide rights, and Paramount the US rights.

The Italian release has been cancelled and it will be interesting to see what happens to the US release. Looks like it might be worth picking this up sooner rather than later unless you want to find yourself at the mercy of the Amazon Marketplace...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks