Dances with Wolves R1 DVD future?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Partovi, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

Ok so the current release is OOP. Who's gonna release it in the future and is there ever gonna be a Director's cut release in R1??

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

3. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

The director's cut is the 3 hour version that was released to DVD. The 4 hour version that was released a long time ago from Orion pictures is not Keven Costner approved. I forget who exactly did that cut. But I do remember hearing that Kevin Costner said that the 181 minute version of the movie is his cut and the only one that he considers the Director's Cut. I think that this may even be on the Commentary track but not positive.

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

All I know is that I am glad I have my 2 disc DTS version! [​IMG]

5. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Right now I can buy the 2 disc DTS version, should I or will the MGM one be better?

6. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I think the dts 2 disc version is the most lifelike sounding film I own. It may not be the loudest or have explosions to shake your subs but it sounds as if your actually in the scene. I have the two disc dts dvd and the 4 hour laserdisc which I just purchased. So by all means buy the dts version if you can get it below $100.00. I've been watching this disc rise in value on ebay for over a year and it's going up in price.

7. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Reading this thread, I was inspired to pop in my DD copy (didnt have a Hometheater when I purchased the DVD 2 years ago so not DTS for me. By todays standards couldn't the print use some work.. Im seeing numerous artifacts and jagged edges throughout the movie, Yet Digitalbits gave the Video an A+. Granted this was back in 1998 or so. Was the rating for its time back in 98 (which is what Im assuming)? Or is this film still considered to have an A+ print

-D

8. Rain

Rain Producer

I found this at www.thedigitalbits.com this morning, so I thought I'd post it here.

9. Bill J

Bill J Producer

So the non-DTS disc is OOP as well?

10. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Despite the fact I already own two versions of this film, the DD & DTS, I am excited about the MGM release. It should be interesting to see how MGM puts the two versions out. From what I know the extended cut is about 4 hours long. The theartical cut is 3 hours. I agree with Rain in his thinking that it migth be a three disc set, one disc for the theatrical version, with commenatary, and two discs for the extended cut. Although it might be techniquely difficult would it not be possbile to have the two versions on two discs via seamless bracnhing? Granted that would spread the 3 hour version on to two discs, unecessarily. One could also assume the extras would in some way be spread out amongst the three discs. Hopefully this time we'll get the theatrical trailor.