What's new

Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 or a Toyota Prerunner 4x4. Which one should I get? (1 Viewer)

ken thompson

Second Unit
I love the looks and V8 of the Dakota but you can't ignore Toyota quality and reliability. Which one would you get?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'd take the V-8 Dakota, but opt for the 5.9 rather than the 4.7. These Dakota's really move. Toyota's reliability didn't come by way of its' 3.4 V-6 and are much more expensive on repairs.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Given the two choices, I'd pick the Toyota any day. Very reliable, and well built (I'd personally get 4WD, but you may not need that in FL).

(I'd also argue that the 3.4L is very reliable)

The only Dodge I'd buy is the new Ram 1500 with the Hemi. The Dakotas are due for a redesign, and the current engine offerings for it are lame, IMO (the 5.9 is a gas guzzler, and way underpowered).

If you're going to haul/tow much, the Dakota might be a better choice than the Tacoma. However, at that point I'd recommend just getting a full size truck.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I drive the old style Dakota ext. cab and it has 295,000km on it with 0 engine or drive train problems. The only work done to it has been regular maintenance.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
ken,

I've got a 2002 Dakota QC that I'm pretty happy with. I didn't look at the Toyota, because the price and warranty on the Dodge was too good to pass up.

I'll disagree with Zen on the engine choice though, the 4.7 liter has a ton of power and pick-up (and is quite a bit cheaper).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'm now in a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab. I look back wistfully on my Toyota days and wonder what I was thinking when I switched.
If you can afford the Prerunner, grab it.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Dakotas are junk. Mopar is junk. I owned an 98 Kota SLT CC it sucked. Never own one again. Toyota is an way better product. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks