What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Mildred Pierce (1945) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
kKv4Q7rP0MAkK33MQIydi5xjcCUKpT_large.jpg
Melodrama casts noirish shadows in this portrait of maternal sacrifice from Hollywood master Michael Curtiz. Joan Crawford’s iconic performance as Mildred, a single mother hell-bent on freeing her children from the stigma of economic hardship, solidified Crawford’s career comeback and gave the actor her only Oscar. But as Mildred pulls herself up by her bootstraps, first as an unflappable waitress and eventually as the well-heeled owner of a successful restaurant chain, the ingratitude of her materialistic firstborn (a diabolical Ann Blyth) becomes a venomous serpent’s tooth, setting in motion an endless cycle of desperate overtures and heartless recriminations. Recasting James M. Cain’s rich psychological novel as a murder mystery, this bitter cocktail of blind parental love and all-American ambition is both unremittingly hard-boiled and sumptuously emotional.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 111 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.37:1
  • English
  • Spine #860

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Conversation with critics Molly Haskell and Robert Polito
    • Excerpt from a 1970 episode of The David Frost Show featuring actor Joan Crawford
    • Joan Crawford: The Ultimate Movie Star, a 2002 feature-length documentary
    • Q&A with actor Ann Blyth from 2006, presented by filmmaker Marc Huestis and conducted by film historian Eddie Muller
    • Segment from a 1969 episode of the Today show featuring Mildred Pierce novelist James M. Cain
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Imogen Sara Smith

Cover by Sean Phillips

March 7, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Have seen this film once, and I don't remember anything. I wonder if it is worth a "blind" buy!
Other than that, nothing for me in this month's slate.

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
Well, of course since I bought it recently, it would come out in 4K now. I love the film but I don't know how much better it can look in 4K.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, of course since I bought it recently, it would come out in 4K now. I love the film but I don't know how much better it can look in 4K.
If it equals "Casablanca" then it's worth it to me. With that said, it's a 4K title I can wait for B&N or Criterion sales.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if iTunes will upgrade my HD digital to 4K like they did with "Citizen Kane" which was another Warner title that Criterion released on 4K/UHD?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Gave her a re-career -----thats how good it was and Curtiz knocked it out of the park!
Curtiz directed so many great films - Eve Arden in this is great too her usual hard as nails but heart of gold fits nicely!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Why wasn’t that parody used as a bonus feature?! That’s hilarious!
Carol said in an interview that Joan Crawford actually contacted her when this aired to congratulate them on a job well done. Some time later when the show did a parody of Torch Song, Joan was allegedly not pleased at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks