What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Brute Force (1947) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Criterion did not promote Eve as a New 4K remaster as was discussed in the original thread for Criterion's release :

Spine #1003SPECIAL FEATURES
  • 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Excuse me. I meant LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN : "New 2K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox, the Academy Film Archive, and The Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray", but, as far as I know, this is the same master that was first shown as a DCP at Film Forum in 2012, as " "New 2K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox, the Academy Film Archive, and The Film Foundation" & released on a disc by Twilight Time in 2013.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
You must, absolutely must, see him as a very slick lawyer in The Postman Always Rings Twice where he utters his immortal line I'm handling this. (Actually, of course, it's James Cain's line as it comes from the source novel)

I'm more familiar with the Bob Rafelson remake but I did see the original film once. It's one I need to revisit. Thanks for the recommendation.

Torsten Kaiser

Film Restoration & Preservation
Insider
Real Name
The first two 4k restorations, ending with 4k data, and down to 4k video masters were The Godfather(s) - first in L.A., and Dr. Strangelove - first in N.Y.

They both were in progress first half of 2007.

I believe the 4k scans of Brute and Naked were probably performed c. 2016-17.

It's the word "new" which is inaccurate. Even worse (although not in this case) is the term "restoration," which no longer has a meaning.

A "new" model car is not a 2017... It's a 20-21.

Robert,

to err is human. It IS a NEW, all encompassing (all still existing pre-print materials were involved/scanned/used) - true to the word and meaning - restoration, completed after almost 2 and a half years total in 2018. It simply took a while 'til everything was finished up and delivered and for Criterion to take it into the propper pipeline re: best date suited for them. So, this is, still, the "very latest model" if you will or in other words: Up-To-Date. Without any "Earth-shattering" things being even on the horizon this - as "they say" is "it".

The scans were done both with ALL elements on IMAGICA and SCANITY HDR films scanners here @TLEFilms FRPS. It is also "new" in the sense that it (as referred to above) took into account for the first time all truely relevant materials still in existence. All digital and analogue efforts (in resolutions of High Definition and Standard Def before that) that preceeded this one - as well intended as these might have been - unfortunately did not take into account some of the best elements that did exist to begin with. Some even were all too easily ignored, others were not or could not be located. An extensive search at the beginning of this project and that of THE NAKED CITY brought in its wake the much needed improvement I was hoping for - and in some sections of the film(s) even a bit more.

The restoration was not only digital but needed to be made also on the analogue side, as well. It was a restoration for preservation, not "just" for video purposes. It was a gigantic puzzle, which now features the film in its best form that is possible with the elements that still exist, including the sound. The same goes for THE NAKED CITY, which was screened several times at the Venice Film Festival (Biennale) in Oct 2018.

For me, the term restoration DOES have a lot of meaning.

my best - maybe later by phone at some point,

TK

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow!

Just finished watching this film for the very first time. What a sensational film. Probably my new favorite Burt Lancaster film next to Twilight's Last Gleaming. It's important that TLG remains my favorite Lancaster picture as it was that film that introduced me to him while growing up.

Really loved this film.

There's a lengthy text prologue from Criterion about the restoration. Seems so much of the original elements were damaged. The film had gone through multiple distributors, each adding their own touches to the damaged material. The amount of frame-by-frame restoration done to this film was immense. All of it shows wonderfully in the end product. The film looks beautiful.

This was the best blind Blu-ray purchase I have made in recent memory. I was so thoroughly entertained by this film and incredibly grateful that not only HTF members recommended it to me, but I took their advice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow!

Just finished watching this film for the very first time. What a sensational film. Probably my new favorite Burt Lancaster film next to Twilight's Last Gleaming. It's important that TLG remains my favorite Lancaster picture as it was that film that introduced me to him while growing up.

Really loved this film.

There's a lengthy text prologue from Criterion about the restoration. Seems so much of the original elements were damaged. The film had gone through multiple distributors, each adding their own touches to the damaged material. The amount of frame-by-frame restoration done to this film was immense. All of it shows wonderfully in the end product. The film looks beautiful.

This was the best blind Blu-ray purchase I have made in recent memory. I was so thoroughly entertained by this film and incredibly grateful that not only HTF members recommended it to me, but I took their advice.
I had a feeling you would enjoy this movie as it's been a favorite of mine since junior high school. No uplifting ending for this movie in a film era that loved to do so. This past weekend, I watched this restored movie on The Criterion Channel and will be purchasing it on Blu-ray again in the next couple of months. From my streaming experience, it's a huge improvement over my Arrow Blu-ray and my iTunes HD digital.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
...This past weekend, I watched this restored movie on The Criterion Channel... From my streaming experience, it's a huge improvement over my Arrow Blu-ray and my iTunes HD digital.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Robert. That’s helpful. The iTunes HD claims to be the Criterion version, but I guess it’s not.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
...This past weekend, I watched this restored movie on The Criterion Channel and will be purchasing it on Blu-ray again in the next couple of months. From my streaming experience, it's a huge improvement over my Arrow Blu-ray and my iTunes HD digital.

Robert: Tonight I rented the iTunes and compared directly to the Criterion Channel. I agree, the Criterion Channel is an undeniable improvement over the iTunes, at least in projection. The iTunes isn't bad at all, the source material looks fine, clean with no damage, but it looked compressed compared the Criterion Channel. There's no pre-credit regarding this restoration on the iTunes.

iTunes clearly states Criterion as the studio. I wonder if it's the master from the 2007 Criterion DVD.

Thanks for your observations.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert: Tonight I rented the iTunes and compared directly to the Criterion Channel. I agree, the Criterion Channel is an undeniable improvement over the iTunes, at least in projection. The iTunes isn't bad at all, the source material looks fine, clean with no damage, but it looked compressed compared the Criterion Channel. There's no pre-credit regarding this restoration on the iTunes.

iTunes clearly states Criterion as the studio. I wonder if it's the master from the 2007 Criterion DVD.

Thanks for your observations.
That would be my guest that the HBO Max and iTunes streams are derived from that older HD master.

Torsten Kaiser

Insider
Real Name
Wow!

Really loved this film.

Hello Ron,

thanx for the comments re: restoration. Just one quick note: Criterion had nothing to do with either restoration or the info plates you referred to, these came from here.

my best as usual & stay healthy :))

TK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hello Ron,

thanx for the comments re: restoration. Just one quick note: Criterion had nothing to do with either restoration or the info plates you referred to, these came from here.

my best as usual & stay healthy :))

TK

Hi, Torsten! Long time no see. Glad to see you around and about.

Thanks for the clarification!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks