What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion Cassavetes Boxset - Fall 2004 (1 Viewer)

From Criterion's news column today:

John Cassavetes Box Set Slated for Fall 2004

Criterion is preparing a boxed set of five films by legendary American independent John Cassavetes. In addition to new high-definition transfers of Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and Opening Night, the set will include Charles Kiselyak’s award-winning 200 minute documentary, A Constant Forge, along with exclusive new interviews with Cassavetes collaborators Gena Rowlands, Peter Falk, Ben Gazzara, Seymour Cassel, Lelia Goldoni, and others. The set is slated for fall release. Watch this space for more details.

source: http://www.criterionco.com

:emoji_thumbsup:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Finally!!! A Criterion release announcement that I'm excited about...

Hey, does anyone know if Ray Carney is participating and/or providing his copy of the newly found original version of Shadows? Thanks in advance!

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
That is really great news, but why is it not possible to include his film "Husbands", which is a personal favourite of mine ?

There is also a great part of the french tv-interview-series "Cinéastes de notre temps" on Cassavetes, hopefully they get a hand on this also.

...wishes, wishes, wishes... do they never stop ? :)

[Nevertheless thank you Criterion for NEW Hi-Def Transfers of Cassavetes' movies - who would have thought this happening a year ago ?]

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Give them time... I'm sure they'll do more eventually.

Btw, I totally stole your Cohen quote for my AOL instant messenger. :p)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Columbia owns Husbands which is why it is not part of the set.

I will happily double-dip and pick up this set when it is released.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

That article is truly depressing. It's Allen Klein with El Topo all over again. How can people want to destroy a film? What is wrong with them? Ugh... yet another person on my "waiting for them to die" list.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely can't wait for this. I never dreamed Criterion would do all 5 at once. This will be the DVD release of the year.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Jay for the information regarding the rights of "Husbands". BTW do you know anything more on any plans of a future DVD release of it ?

It is a shame that Gena Rowlands is so strict about the recently found 57 version of "Shadows". Hopefuly she will think it over to help in shedding more light on Cassavetes the filmmaker in progress. I truly admire her as an actress and will always be her fan but i really don't understand her harsh reaction (is there any official statement from her on this matter available ?). Her performances in "Opening Nights", "Faces", "A woman under the influence", ... will never be forgotten.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

Columbia released it on VHS, but not on Laser and I have heard nothing about a DVD release.

MGM announced that Love Streams was coming out on DVD a couple of years ago but it never materialized.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a Cassavetes virgin. Does this rate a blind buy? I just got the Doniel boxset blind and I feel frisky.

ShaunS

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Only seen "Shadows", which blew me away. Martin Scorsese owes him a lot... heck, "Who's That Knocking at My Door" is pretty much an inferior knockoff/homage (your choice) of the film. However, the film books I've bought pretty much say every other movie here is a must. Interestingly enough, one of my favorite books doesn't mention any other of Cassevetes films outside the ones in the set.

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
Love Streams is coming out in France next month.

It will have some extras and I'm guessing it's from a new print.

Ray Carney definitely worked with Criterion on the boxset. There is a recent update on Carney's "Chasing Shadows" essay/news page -specifically, the "P.P.S. (Early Summer 2004)" section at the very bottom of the page (be sure to follow the link to Mr. Becker's e-mail message referred to in this new addition):

Ray Carney - Lost & Found Department - Chasing Shadows

This is unfortunate news but, we are still getting remastered prints of key Cassavetes films, and exclusive input from several Cassavetes collaborators.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the mail from Criterion mentioned in James Robert's post:

Criterion 2 Carney

President of Criterion Video
The Criterion Collection
Subject: Bad news

Dear Ray,

I'm sorry to have to tell you that we won't be including your commentary or
essay in the Cassavetes box. Gena Rowlands feels that you have violated her
rights and failed to respect John Cassavetes' wishes, and she has informed
us that under the circumstances, she will not participate in or approve the
release with you as a part of it. Cassavetes entrusted his legacy to Gena,
so for us, her word is final. I wish it hadn't come to this.

Sincerely,
Peter

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
So it seems we will "only" get interviews from the usual Cassavetes' collaborators but no commentaries. :-(

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I'm very disappointed in the way this whole thing has been handled, but I would rather have the Cassavettes films cleaned up and on my shelf than hold out the ridiculous hope there will ever be a definitive, expanded set including all of the angles. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks