What's new

Creating an XP bootable cd? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i did a search but couldn't find info on this. i also did a search in windows and couldn't get a clear answer either. something about a recovery console?

i'm just thinking that it may not be a bad idea to have a bootable xp cd just in case i run into problems. i don't think i want to do the 'repair' thing with the factory xp disc.

so is this possible? it seems like it should be. assuming it is, how the heck do i do it?

thx,

ted

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. I have XP on a CD, and I can boot from it. Do you want a copy of your OS on a CD?

Glenn

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have Windows XP pro and cannot boot from the CD so I just upgraded windows 98 using the "update" feature with XP.

The startup disk that windows XP created for me is basically useless.

KyleS

Screenwriter
If you cant boot from the disc you either have an early version of XP or a bootleg copy. Either way you can download the boot files for boot floppies from Microsofts website. Just make sure that you download the correct version because they have a boot for Windows XP Home and a different one for XP Pro and they will not work with the wrong version.

KyleS

TerryS

Agent
The ability to boot from cd has nothing to do with the operating system you are running. It is solely determined by having a compatible BIOS, motherboard, and cd-rom.

Check your BIOS settings (usually by pressing F2 or del at startup) and make sure you have your computer set to boot from the cd-rom before the hard drive. Most computers ship by default with this disabled.

As long as your computer is not too old, ie made after 1996 or so, it should support booting from cd.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If you cant boot from the disc you either have an early version of XP or a bootleg copy.
Early versions of XP are indeed bootable and being a bootlegged version does not automatically disqualify it from being bootable. Bootable bootlegs depend solely on the method in which the disc image was created and extracted.
Just wanted to clarify that. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks guys!
i was thinking that there was a way to create a cd with all the boot files, etc. i found this link which may explain what i was trying to do.
Creating a bootable Windows XP SP1 CD (Easy CD Creator)
i haven't tried it yet, but it looks reasonable enough. if i remember i'll let you know how it goes. or, if anyone else tries this, feel free to post your results too!
thx again!
ted

KyleS

Screenwriter
The ability to boot from cd has nothing to do with the operating system you are running. It is solely determined by having a compatible BIOS, motherboard, and cd-rom.
Although it does matter that your Hardware is compatible (like motherboard is set to boot to CD) but it is certainly not the sole reason for them to not be bootable.

KyleS

TerryS

Agent
Although it does matter that your Hardware is compatible (like motherboard is set to boot to CD) but it is certainly not the sole reason for them to not be bootable
Of course, I was simply pointing out that it didn't matter if he was running Windows XP, 98, or whatever. Booting from a cd is dependant on the hardware and cd. Assuming he has a valid cd of Windows XP, its just a matter of making sure the computer is setup correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks