What's new

Couple of ?’s before finalizing – could use some thoughts (1 Viewer)

Mark_Sykes

Auditioning
Setting up first home theater system and could use some input before finalizing. Mostly will be used for watching movies with minimum audio listening. I appreciate the replies and help that I have gotten in the past. I have read and searched this board a lot lately, but I’m still learning. Have the receiver narrowed down to either H/K AVR125 ($275 etronics) or AVR325 ($499 Costco). Setup will be 5.1 with slim possibility of going to 7.1. Will upgrade TV to HDTV in future so the AVR125 doesn’t have HD outputs and the AVR325 does. How important is this?

DVD player will be Panasonic CP72 ($218 crazyeddie)

For the speakers was thinking about the JBL S38II bookshelfs ($265 etronics) and I need a center channel that would compliment the JBL’s, but the dilemma is it has to be 18 ½ inches or less in length. The JBL Scenter ($130 etronics) is 20 ½ and wont fit the cabinet. And for the sub JBL PB10 ($185 etronics). I only need these 4 speakers as there are already two ceiling speakers for the rears installed. Total cost is around $600, would there be something else to consider over these in that price range, give or take a little.

I'm going to a couple of home theater stores this week to listen first hand, so if you could give me some brands to check out - great.

That would put me roughly at

AVR325 $500
CP72 $220
Bookshelfs $265
Center Channel $130
Sub $185

Total $1300 (less $225 if I go with AVR125)

Also another $200 for cables, speaker wire and a copy of Avia.

If I want to run everything to the receiver what cables will I need for these items (TV, Digital cable box, Receiver, DVD, VCR, Speakers, Sub, PS2)

Trying to stay around a $1500 budget and don’t plan on upgrading for quite a while. So something that will last, if there is such a thing:)

Thanks
Mark

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator
it's a decent setup. depending on the size of your room, and what levels you listen to, that'd make the decision on your receiver.

For me personally, however, I'd spend a lot more on the speakers at that price point. A few months ago I had about as much as you had to purchase a small setup, and I went with the Denon 1802, and a Diva 4.1/R3 combo. It came out to about $1200 altogether, and I gradually upgraded here and there (was using my Xbox as a DVD player - I didn't have an HDTV back then and the XBox did fine)

Outputs for component video - I don't see this as too much of a problem yet. My TV has 2 component video inputs, 1 I use for the DVD, 1 for the XBox right now. If I was going to upgrade in the future, I can just pick up a component video switchbox.

If you're not going to upgrade for a while, like I said before I'd spend less on the receiver and more on the speakers. The technology put into speakers rarely ever gets outdated, but the technology and processing in receivers does. A good guideline set out by some members was 60% speakers, 30% receiver, and 10% other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks