What's new

connections for X1 or Screenplay 4800 (1 Viewer)

This is probably a stupid question but I want to order my cables and I have been messing around with hooking up different devices and am confused about how I am going to hook up the DVD, VCR, digital cable box and receiver to the projector. Are there enough inputs and how does it work? I know there are 2 VGA inputs, 1 svideo and 1 component input on the projector but how do you connect something to the VGA in that list of devices? Right now if I hook up the DVD player, I have to unplug the VCR for sound. I am hoping to get this figured out today to order cables. THANKS MUCH !
Diana

OK I do have the DVD with the component out connections and that cable came with the projector. So I will order a long one of those and the DVD is taken care of. I am hoping that everything else can hook up to the receiver? I purchased the ONKYO HTIB 760 but I am not sure if the receiver accepts the video.
Thanks for your help !

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
The receiver does have two component ins and one out. So you can plug your digital cable box and dvd player into the av receiver via component ins and send it to your projector via the out.
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...ls#productTabs
I'm not sure you'll be very happy with the VCR picture.My experience with that is after you blow the picture up on a large screen the colour is faded and it's not very sharp.

OK I did purchase a long VGA to component cable for the DVD. I thought that would give the best HD picture. I also purchased a long SVIDEO cable for the projector to the receiver. Now I just need to plug the VCR and cable in through the receiver IN right? Do I need another OUT to the projector for both of those? I am not real concerned about the VCR. I probably won't use it much. I am now wondering if I needed the long SVIDEO cable. I was thinking I would use it as the OUT from the Receiver but I am now thinking that is wrong. HELP >

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Hey I was wondering how much of the signal is lost when you route thru the receiver? I will have to do that only if the quality is not sacrificed. I have only s video going to the X1. Any thought besides that way??

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
The VCR will only work with a composite out, So the S-video and component outs won't work.
My projector has a composite in. I don't know if Infocus has a composite in on it's projectors.
With the S-video and component connections it's possible to bypass the AVR and use it only for sound. Some people will say that's better because you won't loose any picture quality by routing through the AVR.
I've read the X1 has a good scaler so I don't know if you'd notice much difference in quality of picture between the component and s-video.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I checked the X1 does have a composite in. Therefore you can bypass the AVR by running a composite RCA cable from the VCR to the projector. Run the component/VGA cable from the DVD player to the projector and finally use the S-video cable from the digital cable box to the X1. All you'd have to do is switch the video source from the projector menu.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a progressive scan DVD player? The VGA input accepts progressive component (480p) through the infocus component-to-VGA adapter. The S-video input takes non-progressive component (480i) similiarly via the component-to-svideo infocus adapter. It's kind of weird for doing hookups - very limited amount of inputs.

The VGA and S-video ports on the X1 are designed to do double duty. The S-video has extra pins so that the component to s-video adapter doesn't loose any video quality. I think the VGA also has something weird that's up with it. So the converters that Infocus sells aren't standard converters - they are designed with the X1 in mind.

Make sure to get the proper Infocus converters from Infocus.com or an Infocus reseller, and not just generic converters. It's not the same thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks