What's new

Connecting more powerful subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Scott_C

Auditioning
I'm relatively new to home theater, and I'm guessing this is probably a very stupid question...but here goes :)
My receiver only has a 100W subwoofer, and I would love more bass during my movies. What exactly must I do to add a larger, more powerful subwoofer? I don't know much about amplifiers, which I'm guessing is the route I need to take.
What and where do I connect the new sub (and amplifier?) to my current receiver?

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Scott and welcome to the world of HT. Anyway, you may be better off posting this thread in the "Speakers and Subwoofers" section. However, since you did post it here I'll help you anyway.
Once you publish this information the answers will come in the bunches.
What and where do I connect the new sub (and amplifier?) to my current receiver?
YOu have two ways to integrate a sub into your HT system but since you seemed to only mention HT, I'll give you the way that would benefit you the most for that application.
You can use a "Subwoofer" cable that you can pick up from any electronics store. Depending on the culpabilities of your speakers would determine if you should use the "Large" or Small" setting provided by your receiver. Regardless of size MOST people use the small setting on their receivers regardless of speaker size.
Moving on, all you have to do is connect the subwoofer cable to it's appropriate connection on the rear of your receiver and then connect the other end to one of the 'RCA' connectors labeled "INPUT".
Better yet, why don't you read this:
All you'll need to know about HT
Combine these articles and the feedback from this forum and you'll be purchasing separates before you know it. ;)

Scott_C

Auditioning
I currently have the RCA RT2250 system.
I know how to connect a sub woofer to a system, just not how to power a bigger subwoofer that requires more watts than my receiver puts out. That's why I was asking about having to get an amplifier :)
The room is 29'x30' with a 12' vaulted ceiling. It's a huge room, and I have a thirst for excellent sound and bass :p)
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
BTW - I'm 18 and living with my parents for the next year. I have to appeal to my mother's need for "non-intruding" items in the family room. Once I get my own house, I'm building the custom theater of my dreams - all separates, HTPC, project, etc etc etc. But, for now, I have to work with a HTIB :frowning:

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
If the sub in the HTiB is passive, then you will need an active sub that has speaker level inputs or if using a normal amp to power another sub, then you will need to attenuate the HTiB sub out to signal levels with a line converter.

Scott_C

Auditioning
The sub in the HTiB is passive.

So, let me see if I interpreted that correctly. Since the HTiB sub is passive, I need a line converter attached to the sub out on my receiver that will then connect to an amplifier, which in turn connects to a new, more powerful sub.

Or, I could buy an active sub with speaker level inputs and attach it to the subwoofer out on my receiver.

As I said before, I'm new to all of this, so I'm doing my best to figure it out =P

Thanks for your help everyone =]

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
That's it, although it's more that you want a more powerful amp (either in an active or separate) to drive a bigger sub driver than the HTiB passive.

Scott_C

Auditioning
Here's my next thought - I could build an active sonotube and connect it to my HTiB receiver, correct?

I'm thinking of a dual 12" Shiva sonotube...a huge step up, but certainly a nice one =P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks