Confused About Aspect Ratios and Black Bars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel_L, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Auditioning

I'm new to home theater and confused. My set up is a Sony kv32hs500 set to Cinemotion and 16:9 enhanced (auto). My DVD player is a Pany 91 set for 16:9 TV and I had progressive scan on.

When I watch 2.35:1 dvds, I get a great picture with black bars top and bottom. When I watch Saving Private Ryan and Say anything (both 1.85:1, I think), I again get a great picture with black bars top and bottom. When I watch Hearts In Atlantis (1.85:1), I get black bars AND grey bars top and bottom? Why is Hearts In Atlantis different?

Are these the best settings to use?

2. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I think it has to do with the difference between "anamorphic" and "Widescreen". Traditional widescreen actually has the black bars encoded as part of the film, while anamorphic uses the entire film for the picture and then your player/display stretches or compresses it back to the normal size, therefore making it's own black bars, instead of the black bars being encoded in the film itself. It is my experience that black bars encoded into the film itself are not "as black" as the bars generated by your Player/Display when viewing an anamorphic, and therefore appear grey. What you are seeing may be a combo of the two.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

ORIGINAL POST DELETED BY AUTHOR. I confused two different films in my head, so that my initial post on this was headed in the wrong direction. A better-considered version appears below.
    M.

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Daniel, it sounds to me like the brightness & or contrast is up to high on your TV. The bars should be black all the way through. Are they just plain gray or are they more of a washed out black kind of gray?

I have a Sony also & if you have the brightness up to high on sources with a smaller format there will be a second set of bars but if you adjust you set a little you wont see them at all.

5. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Thinking that maybe it is a 2.35:1 movie with encoded black bars to make it 1.85:1, and then it's just like a regular 1.85:1 anamorphic.

Playing on a regular TV, it would have "Grey" bars to the 1.85:1 area, and then anamorphic created black bars for the rest of the screen. This sounds like it could be what Daniel was talking about.

6. Michael Reuben

7. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Auditioning

Well, I went back and checked all the dvd's I have available. It seems all the 2.35:1 dvd's I have have the black bars on top of the grey bars, top and bottom, (Moulin Rouge, Crouching Tiger, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Blackhawk Down).

Saving Private Ryan and Say Anything both have ONLY the black bars and thus fill my screen more (I think both are 1.85:1). Mullholland Drive also lacks the grey bars but I don't know what aspect ratio this film is.

Hearts In Atlantis has both the grey bars and the black bars. Is this film 2.35:1?

My television is a 32" direct view Sony KV32hs500 (4.3:1) and has been calibrated with Avia.

8. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Auditioning

Sorry for the confusion. I guess I had the details in my first post turned around.

9. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

So I take it that the gray bars you are seeing are a light gray? It don't make since to me that you would have gray & black. Some of the newer tv's are using gray bars instead of black but I have never heard of both being used.

I do know that there is a way to change the Sony models that have gray bars to black by the service menu. The only thing is I don't remember where I found it at or what models it was on.

10. Michael Reuben

11. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Auditioning

My bad. I went back and recalibrated with Avia and found my settings to be off. Now I've got just the single black bars. It also appears Hearts in Atlantis is 2.35:1 instead of 1.85:1 as someone told me. Thanks to everyone for the input.

12. Michael Reuben