What's new

Comptuer HT Project! Need Recommendations! (1 Viewer)

Ian Charters

Auditioning
Hey.. I'm building a computer from scratch for my HT. Right now im using my laptop to play movies on my setup. Laptop Miniplug-to-RCA into my Harmon/Kardon AVR125 Amp, then S-video out to the 51"G Hitachi HDTV Widscreen. I need some suggestions on what kind of hardware I should buy for this setup(Whole computer, but if you have bits and pieces you want to add, please post).

Also, I noticed when playing games like Counter-Strike on my laptop that the graphics are a bit fuzzy(Compaq 2175CA). So, the graphics card would have to be good enough to produce a crisper image.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I would get at least a 64 or 128meg video card with S-Video out.

For the Case I would look at Antec's line. They have one that is supposed to be very quite. I han't seen it, but I have herd good things about it.

Motherboard--Look at Asus. Most of there mother boards have digital out built in.
CPU--I would get at least a AMD XP2600+
Memory--at least 512Meg
If you are going to turn it into a PVR, then you will have to get a TV capture card. I have an ATI TV-Wonder-VE.
HD-- They are cheep now. If you want to rip all of your CD's into MP3's get a larger one. Also if you are makeing it into a PVR, more is better.

As for playing games on your TV, they aren't going to look that great comming from an S-Video port. Now if your TV has a DVI input, then that would be a lot better. Just make sure your video card has the output.

Get a wireless setup. That way you can listen to music from anywhere. I have it, and it's great.

As for the operating system, take a look at Linux. There is a learning curve. But, they have some nice free PVR software for it. And, I think you can still play Counter-Strike.

That's all I can think of right now. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Does your TV have a VGA or DVI input? If not get a VGA -> component transcoder to get a nice clean native progressive signal.

Is it just to play movies and game? How about TV scaling/time-shifting and music?

I 2nd Jeff's recommendations, especially a fully loaded Asus mobo. Grab one with the nForce2 chipset to get onboard DD5.1 for your games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks