What's new

component video + ATI Radeon 9000 Pro (1 Viewer)

Kris Niesen

Auditioning
I want to use the best analog video output possible with my equipment. Component video ( Y Pb Pr) should deliver the best quality - better than S-video.

My equipment:

* PC with Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 Pro 128 MB (ATI Radeon 9000 Pro based graphics card)
* Denon 3803 A/V receiver
* Sony VPL-PX1 (XGA) projector

My receiver has 2 component video inputs and 1 component video output and it also upconverts all video sources up to component video (Y Pb Pr).
In the settings of my projector I can choose for INPUT A between RGB or COMPONENT. This Input A uses a 15 pins VGA female connector. SONY can sell a suitable cable (SMF-402) with on one side a VGA 15 pins male connector and on the other side 3 RCA component video connectors.

Problem: I want to use the DVI-I output of my graphics card and connect it to the component video input of my receiver.

1) Can I use the HDTV component video adapter from ATI?

If so:

a) Where can I buy this in Europe?
b) Is there an easy not to costly way to order it from the USA?
c) What is the meaning of those swithces on that adapter?
d) How does those switches change the image? In other meanings: how does the video card knows that a different image must be sent?

2) Can I alternative use cable number DVIRCA-5 (DVI-A to Component Video 3 RCA 5 Meters ) which can be bought on the following site:
http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm
Can I find such a cable somewhere in Europe?

3) Is there an other possibility?

4) Question 1a or 1b for the SONY SMF-402 cable

I would thank everybody who can help me with this.

KRIS
BELGIUM (europe)
[email protected]

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I'd think the best option is to go directly from your video card's VGA output to the projector's VGA input. If your video card only has DVI output, get a DVI-VGA adapter then go VGA-->VGA. Converting to component video seems like an unnecessary (and lossy) step unless you need to use the component video switching on the denon.

Kris Niesen

Auditioning
I don't understand?

I have a VGA and DVI-I output on my video card.
I want to use the VGA output for my monitor and the DVI-I output for my receiver.

Isn't component video better than VGA or the same?

My DENON 3803 has a component video input (y Pb Pr) and can output it and does convertions to component video for other input (composite + s-video).
What do you mean by component video swithing by the DENON?

Thanks

Ps.: I would get the best out of my video card, receiver and projector.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Kris,

what you want to do then is use a DVI->VGA adapter and connect directly to the projector's VGA input. Using ATI's component video adapter will limit you to only a few resolutions and isn't very tweakable. Using the direct VGA connection to the projector will allow you to tweak the output resolution and refresh rate to perfectly match the projector and acheive optimal image quality. You can then switch the projector between VGA (for HTPC) and component video (for everything else, from the Denon). If switching between VGA and component is too much of a pain, then you will want to get a good VGA->component video transcoder. But the best option is to use VGA right to the projector

Nathan Smith

Agent
matt is right...

in order of picture quality [at least in theory]
1. DVI
2. VGA
3. Component [but this does not matter cause the card does not have that]
4. S-vid
5. standard rca

use the vga out for ur monitor and get a dvi to vga converter then connect vga to vga that will be better quality then any tv out or converters

Kris Niesen

Auditioning
Thanks Matt.

You said to use a direct connection from the DVI-I output of my ATI video card to my VGA input of my projector.

Last questions:

Can I alternative use cable number DVIRCA-5 (DVI-A to Component Video 3 RCA 5 Meters ) which can be bought on the following site:
http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm

If so: how will the picture look in comaparison with you first solution (DVI-I to VGA).

Thanks already

Nathan Smith

Agent
ok u need this type adapter for vga imput into your projector [should be the BEST virtualy lossless option]

but now i have a question similar to yours kris posted above.. i did not know u could get component out drirectly from dvi sense u can

would dvi to component be my best connection to my tv instead of s-vid?

thx for pointing that dvi to comonent cable kris

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about the pacific cable, but why use component when you don't have to? It's just adding an unnecessary conversion step (since DVI-I outputs both digital and analog RGBHV, there is no conversion step to go to VGA). There is no conversion from DVI to VGA, you are only changing the connector type. With DVI->VGA->component or DVI->component, you are altering the video signal, which can possibly lead to degredation.

Kris Niesen

Auditioning
It is so confusing to me!

You have many ways to send video images to one or another display:

1) composite video: uses just 2 connections
2) s-video: uses 4 connections(?)
3) component video: uses 6 connections

Isn't it true that the more connections used the better the image?

* Scart can be composite or s-video if I am right.
* VGA: RGB is used? RGB is not the same as component video although red green and blue is used or is it? RGB is better than component video or ohterwise?
* DVI-I can be used analog or digital. The analoge signal is the same as RGB?

Isn't there a very good website or document where those differences are explained?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks