What's new

Compatibility of new DVR with older rear projection Mitsubishi (1 Viewer)

davewilson

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Wilson
I recently upgraded to the Directv HR21 DVR. My HDTV is a 9 year old Mitsubishi Diamond Series WS-73905, 73 inch rear projection TV. The problem is that the output of the the new dvr is either hdmi, component (YPrPb), or S-video. My HDTV does not have hdmi so can't use it. The component input on my HDTV is YPrPbHV. That means the HV sync signal inputs on the TV are not used when using the 3 cable component from the the DVR. Granted, the HV input on the new 3 component cables is carried on the Y component cable. However my HDTV receiver expects the HV sync signal to come in to the separate HV inputs, and does not recognize it on the Y cable. My previous HD receiver (RCA) outputted to all five component cables on the HDTV. So what is the solution here to make my Directv receiver compatible with my Mitsubishi TV? Hopefully there is someone out there who understands what I am saying, and what my problem is. For the time being, I am using the s-video output on the dvr and the s-video input on the HDTV as a stop-gap measure. That of course makes my resolution only SD 480i, thus defeating the whole purpose of having an HDTV. My previous RCA receiver had connectivity with the HDTV, but because all of the new Directv HD signals are on a new satellite, it was necessary to get the new Directv receiver. HELP!! Thanks. Dave.

davewilson

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Wilson
To date, no responses. I am surprised that no one has one of the Mitsubishi Diamond rear projection HDTVs. When they came out, they were the largest HDTV's available (other than front projection screens). Surely some people must still be using them with the new HD receivers/DVRs. If so, how are you connecting the HDTV to the satellite receiver. Thanks for any help. Dave.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

You mean RGBHV. YPrPb wouldn't be a problem.

Some Mitsubishi have menu setting or switch on the back to switch between RGBHV input and YPrPb, in which case the jacks are dual labeled, YPrPb/RGB, and you just leave H/V disconnected when you have the set in YPrPb mode.

If yours is too old to have those, then you need a converter, something like:
Key Digital KD-VA5 Component to/from VGA Universal Video Converter/Transcoder

Or, consider a new set.

wshorn

Auditioning
Real Name
Wendy Horn
Dave- Di you ever solve your problem with this TV?
I have the same problem trying to switch from an RCA HD converter for satellite to a Cable HD...I can't see from posts if you solved your problem. Help if you can please.
WSH

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Dave check out the HDFury II which allows HDMI into component over at the AVS site rear projection displays. I don't have one myself but maybe someone here does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks