What's new

Comments on my DIY AV Cabinet (1 Viewer)

BruceL

Auditioning
I am getting ready to build a AV cabinet to match up with some book cases my wife has asked me to build. Exterior dimensions will be 74" high x 23.5" wide x 26.5" deep (which will include a 4.5" "channel" behind the back to manage cables. Inside will be 22" wide by 22" deep and as I only have 5 components now, I will be able to allow plenty of space between shelves. Made of 3/4" birch plywood with maple hardwood trim on exposed edges - stained light cherry (same as book cases).
Will have a wood framed glass door.
Main question is, considering that there will be plenty of space for air movement - should I consider a fan? There will be small openings in the back to run cables as necessary.
Current components are:
Elite 26 Receiver
DTC 100 STB
Sony DSS Reciver
JVC 7600 VCR
Pioneer 525 DVD
All hooked up to Elite 510.
Future upgrades would possibly include a PVR (hopefully HDTV capable in the near future) and a CD Jukebox.
Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Bruce

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Check your owner's manuals and see what they say the minimum spacing for their component should be. Most amps require 3"-4" of open space on top. You may need to plan your shelves accordingly...
Greg

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
I have some ~high quality glass door racks I bought decades ago, and I found out real quick that the rear panels had to be removed to keep heat rise acceptable, so while you may not need fans initially, IMO you should plan for them long term.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

BruceL

Auditioning
Greg & Greg - thanks for the replies. I plan to leave 10" to 12" clear above the receiver and with the width I will have approx 2" clear on both sides. Should be plenty of room for it to "breathe".
Thanks again for the input.
Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks