What's new

comcast & hdtv in Tallahassee, fl??? (1 Viewer)

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Jim_B, have you heard the latest about Tallahassee receiving hdtv via comcast next year? I'm trying my best to get a confirmation from someone who knows or who can pinpoint a date. If you hear of anything please post or e-mail me [email protected] thanks

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Al,
I am a senior at FSU and I live in Killearn and they promised me a February/March date. The Killearn area is supposed to get it first and then work south. None of the Comcast people in Tallahassee are able to answer my question. I hesitate to think that they even know what that is here. I called Comcast's corporate office. Send me a message and we can get together and check out each other's setups.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing I have heard is from the WTWC commercial and how they will be offing it in the next few weeks. I hope they do it soon, does anyone know what Comcast charges for HD? I called Comcast and they said not to look for it until 2004 but I find that hard to believe. I hope Mathew is right about early next year since I live right outside of Killearn.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
They can't even get dolby digital cable boxes, so I find it hard to believe they will be offering HDTV anytime soon. My dealings with comcast have been:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I have the motorola box with the S-Video and the digital optical and coax out. You have to keep bugging them for the good boxes. The only channels brocasting in DD are the one 100+. HBO is the only one I know that does 5.1 on most movies.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I have been on the waiting list for an S Video box for almost six months now. I call once a week and I ask for the same girl every time. I think she is tired of hearing from me...but with what Comcast charges for digital cable service, I should be calling more often. The problem is that they are the only ones here in Tallahassee (just like Sprint) so they can charge whatever they want to and get away with it.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I was on a waiting list too, but one day when I called I asked if they had them in they said yes. I was there later that day to get one. They said they had quite a few.

I was on the list for about 2 1/2 months(july-september)and pretty much was told they don't follow-up on that list. I just got lucky calling one to get a knowledgeable or at least some who was actually willing to perform good customer service. Which as you know is hard to come by here in Tallahassee.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I work for a family owned Garage Door company who just moved to Tallahassee and I used to work at a restaurant in town called Cypress. My whole life I have worked in customer service fields. I agree that customer service is lacking in Tallahassee. This is what gives our family business a competitive edge over other suppliers. I will try the nagging routine with Comcast as well to get the new box. Thanks for the tip.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
It was the funniest thing....after I read your message I decided "What the hell...". So I tried and called and I finally have an S video box!. I am a happy camper. After work tonite, I will go home and check it out. Do you think the S video will be much of an improvement?

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Matthew and Jim, you can e-mail me [email protected] I had no problem getting my cable box after I moved I scheduled them to transfer services and the guy came out with the cablebox I asked for, S-video, digital optical also a digital coaxial. It work pretty good the quality is a little better than composite. In the non-digital channels it jumps out of just mode.I'm really hoping hdtv gets here I went to Sound Advice this past weekend and my mouth just dropped when I saw the demo loop of Hi-def. I must have it!!!
My setup:
Panasonic pt47wx49 (hdtv monitor)
Yamaha HTR-5280 (receiver)
JVC xv723gd (dvd player)
Monster HTS 2500 (power conditioner)
2 Infinity 8" power subs
JBL S-center channel speaker,
JBL N-26 (front)
JBL N-24 (rear)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I was at Sound Advice this past weekend too. I think I saw the same thing you are talking about. I would love to have it as well. I am thinking about building a computer with a high def card in it and then hook that up to my television instead. I just cant see spending $500 on a standalone unit for my television. Maybe then my girl will take the hints and get me a dvd burner for christmas and I will be all set!

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Mathew, how does that work with the computer card. Also do you need a dvi input on your television? I only have component inputs for hi-def.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I know the computer cards are a lot cheaper. A dvi input would be more beneficial and I have heard that adaptors are available. My tv has the component outs and supposedly there is something called a "dongle" which allows you to use components cables with your video card. I will keep you posted as I have just begun doing research on the HT computer stuff.

I have another question relating to the S video digital cable box. Can you please tell me how yours is hooked up. I think that I misunderstood the Comcast support. I was under the impression that you would send the Cable Jack > Digital Cable Box and then S video on cable box > S Video on television. Is this true? I have my components from the TV to the DVD player. Can you recommend a better setup?

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
That's right. I used the same setup. I went cable box s-video to the television (video 1), and my sound is thru my receiver via digital optical.

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Mathew, would you be intersted in an ISF calibration? Gregg Loewen, will be in Florida In March for tip-to-tip calibration tour . He's calibrating my panny. If you go under display devices (tv/projectors)in this forum you can contact him if you're interested.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I'll contact him regarding the calibration. If I decide to move the television (say to another house) will it mess up his settings? Also, I set up the cable box with the S video but there picture is black and white. Could it be a faulty box?

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
That sounds like it might be a bad box. Only settings that tend to go out of wack a little is the convergence. Everything elseis set up in the service menu.

I heard the commercial on WTWC also about broadcasting HDTV in 3-4 weeks...that was a week and a half ago. Does anybody know a firm date on this? Also, is there any word on the other networks? Someone at Sound Advice told me that CBS was supposed to start in May but had hardware problems and was supposed to be on the air by the end of this year...

-Wade

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys, I just found out NBC in Tallahassee is trying to have a digital signal up by 12 noon today. No other stations can give a confirmation date of when they will broadcast in hi-def (just next year sometime). (NBC also carries ABC & WB)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
That sounds good. Let me know what happens. Sometimes I think it takes FOREVER to get things here in Tallahassee. I am really excited though. My new receiver (Harman Kardon AVR525) should be coming sometime this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks