What's new

Colorado Projector Shootout - PE8700 vs SP7200 vs DLASX21 vs 20HD vs SP5700 (1 Viewer)

BradWaite

Auditioning
Hello all!

We're having ANOTHER informal Open House Projector Shootout this Friday, October 10th in Parker (just South and East of Denver), Saturday, October 11th, in Colorado Springs and, due to the great response, another one this Sunday, October 12th, in Parker. We had such a large turnout at the last one (back in September) that we thought it best to spread the Parker/Denver shootout over two days to accomodate everyone, especially since there is so much curiosity about the BenQ and JVC right now.

The projectors to be compared are:

BENQ PE8700
JVC DLASX21 (Jerry Bruckheimer's projector!)
INFOCUS SCREENPLAY 7200 & 5700
STUDIO EXPERIENCE 20HD (same as Sanyo PLV-70, our first HiDef LCD projector!)

Festivities begin at 7:30 on all three nights. Anyone who is interested in the Colorado Springs shootout, please contact John Schuermann via email at:

john at jsmusicsound dot com

If you are interested in attending the Parker/Denver shootout, please contact me (Brad) at:

brad at wcubed dot net

We've only got the JVC DLASX21 and the Studio Experience 20HD for a few days, so we thought it would be fun to put these projectors through their paces. There will be NO SELLING at this shootout (as the participants in the last shootout can confirm)! This will be a laid back, FUN chance for anyone interested in playing with one of these and see how these pieces perform head to head.

See ya there...

Brad Waite

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brad:

Post pictures and your results here in the forum. I wish I could attend it sure sounds like fun. I will you could get ahold of an Optoma H76 for comparison too. The Infocus 5700 is a killer projector and I believe it will give all the others a run for their money.

If you don't have a place to host pictures send them to me and I will put them up on the server.

Parker

BradWaite

Auditioning
Parker,

Will do. We've been waiting for the H76 to show up, but our rep says it probably won't be until next week. I, too, like the ScreenPlay 5700. It's one *bright* projector, which means the black levels aren't the greatest. However, at the the last shootout we held a sample of Da-Lite's High Contrast Da-Mat up to the screen and the image was incredible.

I'm actually expecting the price on the 5700 to drop since the native 720P 7200 is only around a $1000 more (street price). Only time will tell.

I can't wait to see the JVC. John got it in yesterday and was saying it had an image like the Sony SRXD projector we saw at CEDIA, although obviously without the resolution. His initial report is that the black levels aren't as good on the DILA as they are on his 7200, but I'll report the general consesus after the party.

BTW, we're planning on having these shootouts once a month or so. There's a lot of home theater enthusiasts (like us) who are frustrated with the lack of placed around here to actually SEE a projector working (right). And it's not too late for anyone to RSVP. Just email me for directions.

Brad

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i would love to come but i live on the other coast. the tv is my olny upgrade left. i was serching the web and lookng at specks for projectors.

now these go for about
BENQ PE8700 6k
JVC DLASX21 9k
INFOCUS SCREENPLAY 7200 & 5700 10k and 7k
STUDIO EXPERIENCE 20HD and 4k

i would love to here what you think of this roundup.

also what size screen will you be using and do you think they would work on a 120 diag ws screen?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Bryan: A week or two ago, the guys at the AVS Forum were selling the SX21 for $6,999 - a temporary price drop. I'm trying to figure out how to afford it right now, before the price returns to normal (maybe it never will as JVC has announced a widescreen version coming later this year).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brad:

If I could make it out to Colorado I would be there. It would be cool to have a place to go and check out FPTVs with a bunch of other enthusiasts instead of just having to read about them in a magazine or on a forum. I am a hands on kind of guy and I like seeing what is being talked about. The reaction that I got from the people that saw the 5700 in action was "Is that a DLP?" and they wanted to know where they could go to buy one. And besides Infocus is a great company to work with period. I noticed that RCA has taped Infocus to put their light engine in their DLP RPTVs. That says a lot about what they think of Infocus with all the companies they could have chosen to work with.

I digress. I look forward to your shoot outs and pictures of the events. Let me know when you get the stuff together and I will highlight it on the main page of the forum.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks