What's new

Cinema Paradiso and The Grifters are OOP... (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Saw this on another site... sorry if it is old news here:
Image Entertainment is reporting that both Cinema Paradiso and The Grifters are now out-of-print. If you were thinking about scooping these up... now's the time to do it.
------------------
rublev.gif
[email protected]
DVD COLLECTION CONTEST , My DVD Collection ,My Home Theatre
DVDBeaver's 15 Member choices of the TOP 111 DVDs available today!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
We can hope this means that the 170 min Directors Cut will soon be made available. (Nuevo Cinema Paradiso)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, this explains why I've never been able to find Cinema Paradiso. And I needed this movie for a paper I was writing in film class.
Razzlefrazzlemuthersonofbiyicantbelievethisshi.... ..
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have "The Grifters"? What do you think of the transfer? Are there any plans for a new release since this one is OOP?
------------------

Tom Oh

Second Unit
It's a shame that Cinema paradiso is OOP. It would really be a shame if the Director's Cut becomes the only version avaliable. I much prefer the shorter version. The director's cut takes the magic and innocence out of the film by adding an unnecessary segment towards the end. If you have never seen the film, make sure to watch the shorter and much superior version first.
------------------

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I have The Grifters DVD. The non-anamorphic transfer is decent, but not great. The same goes for the audio. Considering just how great this film is (I might put it in the top 10 of the 1990's and certainly the top 25), it begs for a new transfer and SE supplements. Sadly, considering about seven people have seen this film, I wouldn't hold my breath.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I also own The Grifters...not a well known film, but well done and has a few decent plot twists...
Worth watching, for sure.
Besides, John Cusack is in it, isn't that reason enough?
The Disc is decent.
------------------
"This is my verse, hello?"
Link Removed

ScottB

Auditioning
i think you have reason to hope for at least a new bare-bones version of Grifters within a year. Even though it isn't well-remembered, it was highly respected by critics and movie-goers during its theatrical run, and I believe the actors involved (Huston, Cusack, Bening, etc) are all high-caliber and did some of their best work in the film.
I forget who the director is, but if i remember, he also is someone quite well-regarded. I guess i could go look him up, but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet :)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
The Grifters was directed by the famed British director, Stephen Frears and was co-produced by Martin Scorsese and our very own film-restoration expert, Robert A. Harris.
A super film and a decent disc!
------------------
Link Removed

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
>>The Grifters was directed by the famed British director, Stephen Frears and was co-produced by Martin Scorsese and our very own film-restoration expert, Robert A. Harris.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
It should also be noted that Stephen Frears re-teamed with Cusack recently on "High Fidelity" another of my favorites.
------------------
"This is my verse, hello?"
Link Removed

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
We can hope this means that the 170 min Directors Cut will soon be made available. (Nuevo Cinema Paradiso)
All cuts of the film are titled Nuovo Cinema Paradiso. For the foreign markets, "Nuovo" was dropped from the title -- probably to make it easier to pronounce.
I'd rather see a Region 1 disc of the regular cut (155 min,) instead of the director's cut (170 min,) if I had to choose between the two. Obviously, a disc with both versions would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath...
The now out-of-print disc from HBO contained an even shorter, completely butchered cut (123 min), known as the "Shortened International Version."
In March of 2002, Miramax will release the 170-minute Director's Cut theatrically, in the States. This will only add to the confusion, since US audiences have never had the chance to see the regular, 155-minute cut.
Cheers,
------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
In March of 2002, Miramax will release the 170-minute Director's Cut theatrically, in the States. This will only add to the confusion, since US audiences have never had the chance to see the regular, 155-minute cut.

Thanks for the update. This was supposed to happen last June but I guess has now been pushed by Miramax.

~Edwin

John O

Stunt Coordinator
I just grabbed the DVD :) . By the way, this has to be the first time Miramax can be accused of releasing the longer cut of a foreign film they purchased. ;)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I hope Robert Harris chimes in here,
since he was a producer on The Grifters.
-Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The domestic video rights to Grifters have reverted from HBO to Miramax, which licensed the film from Cineplex in 1990. There will be a new Hidef transfer with proper densities and color timings and with a few extras.

The HBO transfer of Grifters was actually well done, but then damaged and strangely changed in compression and authoring.

RAH

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I have The Grifters DVD. The non-anamorphic transfer is decent, but not great. The same goes for the audio.
What! I have THE GRIFTERS, and it is anamorphic with a pretty terrific 5.1 audio that doesn't necessarily rely on split surrounds but is excellent nevertheless. And the 16x9 picture is excellent, retaining some of the grain and grit of the original theatrical presentation. This was one of the first anamorphic DVD's I bought way back and I love it.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I got a copy of Cinema Paradiso!!!
Where did I get my copy?
Good ole West Virginia!!!
Who would've thought a state whose only two worthwhile things are Camden park and the Marshall football team would have a fine movie like Cinema Paradiso. ;)

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
170 min cut of Cinema Paradiso? Would be interesting to see what Tornatore left out for the shorter version. Anyway, I own the HBO disc and would have loved the audio(mono) to be in 5.1 to lend some ambience to the fabulous Morricone score. But otherwise, it is still a good film and those who love movies should go out and get this gem.
Cinema Paradiso e' bellisimo! Un bello film di l'amore e amicizia!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks