What's new

Choose The Best Summer Movie Season ('89-'06) (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
From the list, I'd definitely go with Summer of 2005. With Episode III, War of the Worlds, Batman Begins, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, last summer was golden for me.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
For an R rated film, The Matrix was more than a mild hit. It was no blockbuster. Think Bourne numbers. But yes, the DVD hit right when DVD was crossing over to the mainstream, and it was the first million seller. Probably sold systems as well. The impact of The Matrix was bigger than the numbers might lead you to believe.

And it doesn't count for the summer, being released LATE March. IMO :) Or else I could count Fight Club from October ;)

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Sorry, no. I distinctly remember seeing them with the blessed air conditioning running full out. Now it's possible I saw them later in their theatrical runs. That was still the time that films ran for half a year or more in the theatre, and audiences would actually take in a film that had been playing that long (both had PACKED houses, by the way). Today, if I don't get people to see a film the first week then it's all over. They're on to something new (one week is old?) and will wait for the missed film on DVD.

Shaun

Second Unit
I'd say 1989 was the first Summer movie season that got my attention. Though the end products may have been less than spectacular, the lineup sure was impressive at the time. Lots of 80's franchise movies. You've got Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Lethal Weapon 2, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, Ghostbusters II, The Abyss, Star Trek V, License to Kill and Karate Kid Part III.

I second the motion for '97 as being one of the most disappointing Summers. Even though the lineup was impressive before actually seeing many of the movies, the end products were, once again, mostly trash. Let's not forget the trashbag that was Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
The one movie which in my opinion saves 1997 from the nether regions of awfulness is another movie that was left off the list: Contact.

In the only double-feature I have ever attempted, I bought tickets for back-to-back showings of MIB and Contact. The screens were directly across the hall from each other, and both films had to do with aliens. And that's about where the similarities end.

I'm glad I saw Contact last. :) Nine years later, and it's still one of my favorite movies of all time.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I agree that Contact is a major reason I differentiate 1997 from 1996. I consider Contact a gem, good drama, good sci-fi, and excellent filmmaking. Good pull.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Oh believe me, I did not forget "The Matrix". But technically it released in late March or April 1999, so I didn't know if it would be fair to classify as a "summer movie", but given the fact that the film played well into May 1999 ... I think it's OK to make an exception this time.

Obviously it had a huge pop culture impact though. 1999 was big for that -- The Matrix, the return of Star Wars (and the ensuing Jar Jar backlash), Austin Powers 2, The Blair Witch Project, and The Sixth Sense all were pop culture phenomenons. I think maybe even American Pie could be classified as one. Lets face it, "American Pie" is probably the "The Breakfast Club" for a new generation of kids, and I don't know if anyone quite looked at apple pie the same way afterwards, lol.

Usually you're lucky to get 2 or 3 of those in a year ... but 6 in one summer is insane.

As for films like "The Abyss" and what not being left off ... I'll add them upon request, but I didn't want the lists to be too long (we are talking about 16 years here), so I tried to limit it to the bigger hits.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Walter Kittel said:
For my money you'd have to go back to 1982:

48 Hours
Blade Runner
Conan The Barbarian
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Poltergeist
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
The Thing
Tron
The World According to Garp

That would have been my choice too.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, yes. Sophie's Choice and The Verdict most definitely were winter 1982 releases. Just because you saw them in warm weather doesn't change that... :rolleyes

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Nah, you aren't remembering correctly :) The Matrix was quite a bit more than a mild hit with $171 million domestic.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Having mulled it over, my favorites are 1989, 1991, and 1999, with a honorable mention for 2005.

2001, 1997, and 1998 are my least favorite.

1997 probably moreso because The Lost World (why not just stick to the book rather than have a T-Rex drinking out of a backyard pool?) and Batman & Robin (Batman Forever wasn't great, but it's "Lawrence of Arabia" by comparision). They were just so dissapointing. Although I admit "The Lost World" is a bit better on DVD without the expectations of four years from JP on it, but I still hate that third act.

1997 was odd in that the "pop culture crazes" of that year happened at the beginning and the end of the year ... Star Wars re-issue in January-March, and then Titanic coming right before Christmas.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

I believe I said, "...Now it's possible I saw them later in their theatrical runs. That was still the time that films ran for half a year or more in the theatre...".

Feel better now?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yes, you did say that - after the dismissive "sorry, no", which indicated you were pretty sure you were correct...

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Well then here's another sorry but this time with no "no" attached, because that was not my intention. My apologies Colin. Perhaps it's time I either learn to be more expressive in my posts, or figure out where to find the "emoticons" tool bar the rest of you seem to have.

In any case according to an aunt of mine this discussion is pointless because we didn't allow for choosing the summer of 1942. Actually, the more movies she mentions the more I think she's on to something.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Chuck:

I was just reading through this thread again, and your post about 1991 brought back a great memory. IIRC, Naked Gun 2 1/2 and T2 came out pretty close together (if not the same weekend).

Anyway, on the Friday night that T2 opened, my uncle and I went to a double feature. We watched Naked Gun 2 1/2 followed by T2. It was a lot of fun...:)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got to go with 1996 for now. 2005 was a GREAT one though with ROTS, Batman B, Mr/Mrs. Smith etc...

I have some sentimental reasons for going with 1996.

Twister
Mission Impossible
The Rock
Eraser
Courage Under Fire
The Frighteners

Had a tough summer that year and going to the movies partially kept me from going insane. :D....

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Here's a gem that *is* a summer film from the big year of 1994. I had forgotten it in my haste, but watched a bit of it yesterday. It was the poster I had on my wall in college :D So it must have worked for me.

The Crow

Add that landmark to the 1994 pile, elevating that year for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks