What's new

Check out this list of pop/rock SACDs coming from Universal! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I like the Police but I'd prefer more variety. If the Allman's has the extended versions it's in my bag baby.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Looks like they're releasing the entire Police catalog! It would be even better if you were given the option of purchasing a Police Box set with all of the titles listed above in it. I will end up buying ALL of these, eventhough I have the Message in a Box collection from ten years ago. Nonetheless, I am certain it would work out cheaper if a box set option was offered on these SACD's.

Reg

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
If the Allman's has the extended versions it's in my bag baby.
Yeah, but then you end up with the edited Elizabeth Reed, don'tcha?

I've never heard the expanded version ("The Fillmore Concerts") -- is it just more tracks + the edited Reed?

Damn, now I remember that I forgot to order that ABB - American University 12/13/70 release.

NP: Grateful Dead - 6/9/1977 - San Francisco, CA

Lin Park

Second Unit
I've never heard the expanded version ("The Fillmore Concerts")
Then you haven't really experienced the Allman's live at the Filmore East. The expanded version is by far better in content and audio quality. I have the 2-disc "The Filmore Concerts" and the 1-disc Capricorn Records version. Without a doubt, the sound on the 2-disc set is better - the bass being played by Berry Oakley on Statesboro Blues is one perfect example. Not to mention the songs you miss out on:
Trouble No More
Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
One Way Out
Mountain Jam
Drunken Hearted Boy (w/ Elvin Bishop, Steve Miller, and Bobby Caldwell)
Don't knock that edited 'Liz Reed' until you hear it. I think you'll choose it every time. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the color picture on the cover and the liner notes are both to die for. ;)
Assuming I have an SACD player by then and this is the full concert edition, I'll be picking this up for sure.
Lin

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this release list is very Police-heavy, but hey, this is an awesome list! I won't mind one bit if Universal releases the Police albums individually, just as long as they release them!

Lin Park

Second Unit
Any status update on this? Were these supposed to come at the end of January or after some other group that is being released at the end of January? The wording was slightly unclear.

Thanx,
Lin

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lin, from what I have read, the Police SACDs will be out February 11th and the Peter Gabriel SACDs will be out in early March. The Who My Generation is also supposed to be out on February 11th.

Lin Park

Second Unit
I was mainly concerned with the Allman Brothers and Peter Frampton - any insight on these? I am interested in the others also so thanks for the updates on those.

Lin

Joe Cole

Second Unit
I might be interested in the Live at the Filmore set. I am not much of a rock fan anymore but I did see the original group in Sept. '70 at RFK stadium in D.C. Oooh am I olde. ;)
More than half the crowd there did not know who they where and didn't care. GrandFunk Railroad was the head liner. Me and my friends did know them and were quite up set when the crowd hurried them off the stage. Their instrumentations were quite above average for the 'golden' age of rock. Almost jazz like blues.
GrandFunk wound up playing about 4 songs and the crowd trashed the place and the city removed Funk from the stage. If only The Brothers had kept on playing.....

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lin,
I haven't heard anything more about The Allman Brothers and Frampton SACDs.
Joe,
Great story! Sounds like you got ripped off, though. :frowning:

Lin Park

Second Unit
I was a little young to see the original crew play live (I would have just turned 2) but I really wish I had seen Duane Allman in person. I've been told by more than a few people that the guy may have been the best guitar player that ever lived. It's such a shame that so many of these "greats" careers last such a brief time and others with no talent at all live forever. ;)
Lin

DanaA

Screenwriter
This about seals it. I'm going SACD, unless I go hybrid. Up to now, I've straddled the fence, but The Allman Brothers tips the scales altogether. Perhaps the greatest live album ever, each number is like a deeply emotional musical excursion. Whipping Post is my personal favorite, but it's all great. This is one tough gang of amazing musicians putting it all out for the crowd.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lin, I did know him. I saw him dabble around and just play various stuff. He's one of the most fundamentally sound guitarists I've seen. Remember, he didn't get too old or experienced either. He was as nice as he was good but he didn't have 10 cents worth of good judgement with drugs and alcohol. After his good natured greetings, invariably, he'd swing open his "fringe" coat and produce a bottle of borbon wiskey and offer you a drink. This he'd do for about anybody he met who he thought seemed hip. He was a friendly opposite of his dour brother. He always had a pint. He usually had really good weed too.

His bandmates were the ones who were really into the worse drugs. Duane's problem was drinking. He was a big 6' 4" and his big self could hold alot. The Allmans would of been way bigger if he hadn't perished. He didn't die, he perished, needlessly...sort'a?

Some of his best work came from the sessions work he did at Muscle Shoals. The highlights of that stuff is on those two Duane Allman Anthology albums. Maybe, the best album he played on was Aurthur Conley's MORE SWEET SOUL MUSIC. He plas on about half the songs, the better half. If you want to get it, it's only available as a import from Europe as far as I know. Isn't that lovely (!)? Check him out on Clarence Carter's song THE ROAD OF LOVE. He's so good on that one that Clarence ad libs into the song, "I like what I'm listening to right now", when Duane is takin' a ride. I've never heard Clarence or Duane sound better.

I've never heard the Wilson Pickett album he played on, just the cuts on the Anthology Albums. It might be pretty intresting? Who's heard it? The albums and singles he played on are an intresting lot, with quite a few big hits. I'd like to hear them all myself. Finding them all (or just remembering them all), many on vinyl only, isn't easy. He kept relatively busy, everybody wanted him.

With a longer career Duane would of become way more famous and might be way more highly regarded? I think it likely. He was quite good but that was a long time ago.

Lin Park

Second Unit
I have the first anthology and it is an absolute treat, in fact, I'm going to listen to it right now. Just love Duane's version of Goin' Down Slow - not only could he play but his voice won't half bad either.

I thought I read somewhere once (maybe the liner notes for the anthology) that Eric Clapton used to chase Duane around and couldn't get enough of his playing. Even he thought Duane was the best and that's saying something. Brings to mind the old song about a Rock 'n' Roll Heaven havin' a Hell of a band. Can you imagine if Duane, Hendrix, and Stevie Ray were still around and actually go together for a session or two? Just gives me goose bumps.

Lin

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Peter Gabriel's "Up" SACD is listed on Universal Music's U.S. site as "coming soon", along with ten other Gabriel titles, but with no specified date.
Link Removed
The Universal Music Canada site lists seven Gabriel titles for release on March 18. The list used to include "Up", but it disappeared sometime between Friday and today.
http://umusic.ca/site/web/newreleases/index.php
As usual, the ony way to know exactly when something's coming out is when it finally does come out. :rolleyes

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
How about the Allman Brothers in surround? DTS Entertainment has their album "Live At Fillmore East" on one of their "5.1 music discs" (a CD encoded with DTS instead of regular PCM). All you need to play it is a dvd player--or a CD player--with a digital output & a DTS-capable receiver. Best Buy sells this one and a few others for $20. My Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" in 5.1 sounds great!
http://www.dtsentertainment.com/sell...c=710215441023
LJ

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Did you happen to notice that only 1 Peter Gabriel disc and only 1 Police disc are multi channel.
And I don't think that any are hybrids.
That blows. :thumbsdown:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
And I don't think that any are hybrids.
Looking at their site Al, the two Multichannel discs, Peter Gabriel Up and The Police Every Breath You Take: The Classics are scheduled to be Hybrid discs. That means between Gabriel and The Police, 2 out of 18 discs are Multichannel and Hybrids. So much for those Hybrid production lines taking off.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks