What's new

Cheap and easy meals for the college student? (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Milk
Other Beverages
Cocoa Krispies
Cheerios
Grilled Cheese
PB and Fluff
PB and Jam
Kraft Easy Mac
Chicken Nuggets
Ketchup :D
Snacks
Left over "to go" meals from the Cafeteria

If you have a kitchen and normal freezer
Pasta
Grilled Meats
Eggs
Frozen Stuffs

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I love checking out the day-old "must sell" bakers rack at the local grocery store. Day-old donuts for a discount price! You know you're poor when you can't afford standard priced donuts.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Tapatio Hot Sauce(optional)-.59 (bottle)
NOT OPTIONAL :D

Man, I went through a lot of Tapatio in College. The best things to put it in (besides anywhere you'd put hotsauce) is rice and raman noodles. It really gives em a kick.

As far as cheap eats, Hot Dogs are always good to have on hand. You can cut them up and put them in the MacnCheese, or just get some buns and go that way. Raman noodles are awesome. Get a big bag of chips and a big deal of salsa. Chips and salsa make a GREAT snack at pretty much any time of the day. Spaghetti is cheap easy and good.

Also, frozen microwavable stuff is good... burritos, pizza bagels, pizza rolls, etc.

-Marshall

david stark

Second Unit
beans on toast, mmmmmmmmmmm.

or for a more hearty meal, spaghetti bolognese. fry a load of minced beef and onions. Add a tin of tomatoes when the beef is done along with some tomatoe puree. If you are feeling rich then you can add mushrooms, carrots etc. serve with pasta and cheese (if feeling rich again). It can also easily be turned into chilli con carne with the addition of kidney beans and chilli powder.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Microwave burritos and salsa! For some extra yum place some cheese on top.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Totino's frozen pizza

These things are cheap ($.75-$1.25 per pizza), delicious, and are just the right size to eat for a meal (or 2 if you're not a big eater).

And lots of cereal, a $2.50 box of cereal will provide 6-10 quick any-time-of-the-day meals.

Also cheap, single serving fresh fruit is good to keep around.

Bananas - Often on sale for pennies a pound. Buy them slightly green so they won't go bad so quick. When they do start to get brown throw them in a blender with some milk and ice for a quick smoothie.

Apples - Usually less than $3 a bag for red delicous.

Tangerines - Go on sale for like 6 or 8 for $1, can't beat that.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
This brings back some memories.
Memories. This is happening right now! I'm eating SpaghettiOs with meatballs out of the can with a fork right now. But I'm a poor college student who also works full time and doesn't have time to microwave anything (Shhh... Don't tell the boss, I'm using the computer at work to post this here :crazy: ).

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Meals like these are the reason I have lost 30 pounds in the last 9 months. Hopefully I will be under 200 by my 21st birthday(25 days away)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
There are loads of cheap recipes, but the trouble is that unless you have a limited enjoyment of food, then you will want variety pretty quickly. I'd strongly advise buying a cookbook for students. I'm assuming that there are some available in the USA - certainly there are loads available in the UK.

What I found was best when I was a student was to plan my meals a week in advance, so that you know what you're having each night. This means that I could keep a sensible control over my budget and curbed my impulse spending (something I am horribly prone to). Incidentally, I tried to have at least one rather more sophisticated meal each week - it somehow eased the monotony.

Oh yes - and learn to eat lots of vegetables and fruit - they are generally the cheapest and healthiest options. Indeed, a person who doesn't eat enough fruit and veg is a fool.

If you can learn to make a good curry, then curried vegetable dishes are very cheap and delicious.

However, a warning - don't let it be known that you are good at cooking, or you suddenly find various so-called friends magically appearing at meal times.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would counter some of the suggestions with a plea to try and eat right, not just cheap and fast. Poor college eating habits take a while to break if you're not careful once you graduate, and the "Freshmen 15" that many students gain can be attributed to eating poorly and not prioritizing their activities to keep or get their bodies fit.

Even if you are skinny with a high metabolism, that metabolism rate doesn't last forever.

Also, eating all that cheap starchy foods will get you tired and your study sessions will be less productive. And you can't just rely on caffeine to keep you going. Also, make sure you get plenty of sleep so you'll be alert when you need to be.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I would counter some of the suggestions with a plea to try and eat right, not just cheap and fast.
Patrick, I agree wholeheartedly, but in fairness there are cheap and quick meals that are healthy. E.g. I used to eat lots of salads (still do), and they are very easy and quick to prepare. And if anyone says they can't stand salad, then all I can say is get a decent recipe book - there are a *lot* of really tasty ways of eating your veggies.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Here's another strategy. I found a girlfriend who lived locally and her parents fed me. That's a good one. OBTW, have been married to her for 23 years now.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wow, so many replies... i guess most people here have gone through what I'm goin through haha...

Yeah, I DEFINITELY wanna eat right, which is why i was reluctant to have Ramen all the time...

Thanks alot... I HAVE to get myself some FRUIT and Veggies...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Congrats making it to college! or is it university?

Which one you get into...Simon Fraser? UBC (aka University of Billions of Chinese haha)?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Max: :laugh: Simon Fraser... I live in Richmond (if you know where that is), its a long commute even by car... my parents would rather stick me in res than buy me a car, so here I am... at least they're helpin me pay some of it haha...

Anyways, I went shopping today, bought some bread, some veggies, bananas, chicken, minute rice (until I can find a rice cooker)... I got a chicken breast, sprinkled some salt and pepper, and smothered it with TABASCO CHIPOTLE hot sauce i just bought as well... threw it on the George Foreman... oh man, that is GOOOOD.... mmmm, i love that grill.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Unfortunately, im only 17.. damn birthday is in november... I am currently thinking of getting a "special" ID...

What, they expect me to talk to girls SOBER?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks