Cheap and easy meals for the college student?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NickSo, Sep 2, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I'm writing this from my dorm room at my new school for the next few years!

Anyways, i think the title is pretty self-explanitory...

Im looking for recipes and food ideas that are easy to make, taste good, and most importantly: CHEAP.

Anybody have any? I don't think im gonna last the semester living on spaghetti and grilled chicken breast...

Ohyeah, I have a George Forman grill, if anybody has any good recipies for that.

Thanks!

2. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Ramen, microwave popcorn, roomma... uh nevermind, uhh dont you have a cafeteria,

3. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Nick, you're asian, so am I. You're name is Nick, so is mine. I survived off ramen at USC. I'm sure you can too. Can't beat a 10 cent meal.

4. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Hey, what ever happened to good old kraft macaroni and cheese......

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Stir-fry. This is about the easiest healthy meal I know of.

Instant pancakes or waffles, eggs, bacon. Requires a bit of clean-up. Or egg sandwhich: microwave egg on English muffin. Add slice of cheese.

Pan fry pork chop; heat frozen green beans and make instant mashed potatoes.

Sandwiches. Deli meats and various fixin's.

Meatball sandwich. Buy frozen meatballs; heat in spaghetti sauce and use sub roll for bread.

Frozen burritos.

Digiornos pizza

Cereal

Pasta-roni

Just some thoughts from a long-time student.

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    yep, Kraft Dinner, Ramen and buy lots of rice. I also buy the frozen veggies from costco and throw those in with the rice and/or Ramen.
    So where are you going to school Nick? Good luck.

7. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Bob

Kraft Mac' N' Cheese is ok at the beginning of the month, but at the end of the month one can't afford those high class meals. Ramen Noodles are great. Don't forget the hand sandwich (one slice of bologna in hand). Mustard on Wonderbread can be a great gustatory experience if you are hungry enough to hallucinate.

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Mac and cheese will save the day anytime. Ramen are great too. If you have a mini-fridge in the room, keep a supply of ham and cheese, and plenty of sliced bread. Hot dogs can be taken care of in the microwave. And if you're not averse to rubbery eggs, you can make "fried" eggs in the microwave oven too.

The occasional TV dinner can be good too. Not too often tho, or the cholesterol and fat will kill you before you're 30 :p)

This might help: Quick & Easy Recipes

9. Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula Stunt Coordinator

I agree with ramen as well. You can add an egg to make it less boring along with either some soy sauce or tabasco sauce while cooking it. Personally I like eating canned chili with doritos. Those prepackaged deli meats are good as well. Pizza Rolls (if you want to spend a little more). Ramen is still the god of all as far as price goes, although it will get old quick. Most people I know that ate alot of it in college can't even stand to look at it now that they are out.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    haha, yeah i have a nice stock of macNcheese and Ramen in my room... i just like to eat something other than deep-fried sodium-saturated noodles everyday [​IMG] Ahhh, i must get myself some frozen pizzas...

Wow a nice list, keep 'em coming...

Richard: Im goin to Simon Fraser University, in the Townhouses

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Beer, just buy cheap beer. After the first six you won't be hungry anymore and every girl in the dorm will look like a fox. Definitely beer, I suggest Natural Light [​IMG]

Seriously, PB&J is a good alternative. The PB and the J keep for a long, long time and a loaf of bread is cheap. Also buy some mustard, coldcuts, and cheese to change it up. Just steal a plate and knife from the school cafeteria and you are set all year...

12. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

Nick,
    How about some grilled cheese sandwiches on the George Foreman grill?

Tuna fish (good source of protein)

13. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Ramen and Busch beer at 4.50/12pack helped me survive..... After graduation I promised myself I'd never eat Ramen or drink Busch again.

About the only promise I've ever kept in my life.

14. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

If you get tired of the boxed macaroni and cheese, you can buy a bag of macaroni noodles (cheap) and just melt cheese over them once they're cooked. Thow in a bit of milk and salt/pepper and its really easy and tastes better IMHO.

Matt

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Top Ramen

Ramen in a cup

Kraft Mac & Cheese

Generic Mac & Cheese

Generic "Ravioli with meat sauce" in a can. The truely hardcore starving college types don't even bother to heat it. Just eat it from the can with a fork.

Question: Do you have a fridge?, How about a Hot-plate?

Other things that can be eaten from a can, no prep-work required (less disgusting the hungrier you are. Most undergrads eat once a day. Much like 14th century monks, they get most of their sustenence from beer):

Beans. Baked beans. Corn. Fruit salad. Mushrooms. Artichoke hearts. Deviled eggs. [​IMG]

If you can boil water spaghetti is probably the cheapest way you can eat good. Just be sure to get name brand spaghetti sauce, not that tomato-paste in a can crap.

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Buy a rice cooker. It cooks rice perfectly, all you have to do is add water, and clean-up is as simple. You can mix things up through different types of rice and sauces. Also, many rice cookers double as vegetable steamers.

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I second the rice cooker. You can add broth to it if you like. add Tapatio.

Madras Lentils and tortillas(or pita) make an inexpensive meal. add Tapatio.

Chili and Frito's. add Tapatio.

Top Ramen is a given and a staple for anyone who is/once a starving student. add Tapatio.

18. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I've been eating Nissin cup-noodles (Japanese release, not NA release) for lunch for the past 4 years.

Also when I was living at a dorm, for 1 full year, I ate Indomie Chicken Curry Flavour. (yep, breakfast, lunch, and dinner)

19. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Buy lots of bagels and cream cheese, breakfast is taken care of[​IMG]

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    The sodium in the ramen comes from the seasoning pack.

Buy some fresh veggies (baby carrots, celery, onions, and napa cabbage [i consider fresh garlic a must as well]) and boil those together for about five-seven minutes, through in the ramen cabbage and celery leaves. after about two minutes put in HALF of the package of seasoning, it's all you need.

for those suggesting stir fry, it is a great idea, if you want to add fried noodles, take the full seasoning pack from the ramen add that to 1-1½ cups boiling water then add the ramen, let it boil together 2-3 minutes (depending what texture you like your noodles) toss the noodles into a hot skillet and pour about 1/3 of the broth over them, fry in this manner adding broth (depending how strong you want the noodles) as needed, as the last broth evaporates toss some sesame oil on the noodles and toss in the skillet about fifteen seconds. serve.

george foreman grill. See those high fat packages of about ten burger patties at the super market for 8 bucks. I'd personally forget about them and buy a triple pack at a costco or sams for the same price (this of course necessitates a membership). seriously though, these things are great quick meals, if you have a freezer

on that note buying a 6$ 3lb pack of chicken tenders or chicken breasts is a good idea for george foreman as well.
    spice it up a bit by taking the frozen breast and searing each side in about a tablespoon of butter in a skillet, and season at the same time with lemon pepper and garlic powder. cook for about 6 minutes in the george foreman, very nummy.

you want to go healthy, look for Laura scudders' peanut butter, the ingredients in this peanut butter are: peanuts, salt. It tastes wonderful. if you want a really calorie-ful meal, make a peanut butter and honey (say clover or orange blossom) sandwich. And for an added bonus you can even call it a healthy meal if its on wheat bread!

You can make shishkabobs on the george foreman, wooden skewers run like a hundred for a dollar, I'd recommend looking for the eight inch variety. I won't give out mly sauce recipe, but try butter, paprika, thyme, basil, pepper, salt, and lemon juice for a really good basting sauce (do it to taste and by trial and error but not vast quantities, no more than a teaspon of the above spices to a half cup of butter). do these vegan (button mushrooms, pearl onions [come in a glass jar], canned whole new potatoes and green/red/orange/yellow bell peppers) or add stewmeat (already chopped up for you) or another steak. you can also try chicken and shrimp, but I like beef.

Frozen burritos, if you can buy the bagged kind that come about eight to a bag for about $2-3 get some. cut them in half, cut up half an onion, put on a microwave safe plate, cut burritos in half, put on top of onions and top with cheese of choice. nuke until burritos are done.

Frozen taquitos (meat popsicles) make a great snack or meal when you add salsa and cheese and/or guacamole to the mix. and you can make your own guacamole with avocados garlic cream cheese and lemon juice (very basic but good).

Soups are ridiculously easy to make, take fresh or canned veggies, mix into a pot, add milk maybe some water, season as you like and let cook down. Throw in meat, pasta and rice as you wish. plus if you make enough for two meals you can leave it out for a day and just boil it again the next day and it will still be okay (donot let it set unrefrigerated for more than two days though!). And you don't want to leave it unrefrigerated if green beans are involved (they tend to go bad fast, like mayonaise... at least that's what mom tells me).

Of course I'm a sophmore and I do all this and make my own cookies, bread, biscuits etc because our dorms' microwaves happen to be combo units that are also convection ovens. [​IMG]

Adam