What's new

CD Quick Review: U2's No Line on the Horizon - Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ok, so I am a lifelong U2 fan. 'Acthung Baby' is the soundtrack to my college days and I hands down believe they are the greatest band that has ever lived. But even with this admitted bias - their latest album, 'No Line on the Horizon' is a success of unexpected proportions. It's an experiential triumph; rock ballads and ambient expressions, riveted with the Edge's flights of guitar transcendence and Bono's lyrical earnestness and self-awareness - all laced of course with a rockers ego and lofty expressions of humanity's potential.

Musically - this album, their 12th studio production, is more textured, flowing and abound with anthemic genius than any other since 'Achtung Baby'. You will find the waters of funk being tested, blips, beeps and electronic elements mixed with echoes of their superb sound from as far back as 'Boy' and guitar riffs that are staples of everything they have ever done. All immersed and an album of surprising originality for a band that has been around for almost 30 years

The first single from this release, 'Get on your boots', isn't actually representative of this album's overall sound - but is a cannon shot in to the air telling us of their eternal energy and endless creativity. The album overall is replete with solid, prodigious tracks and there isn't a single track that doesn't belong or stands out as a weaker effort.

From the delicious opening track 'No line on the Horizon' (which admittedly reminds me of the music playing as 'Buffalo Bill' from The Silence of the Lambs 'tucks' a part of him away to look like a girl and dances in front of his video camera) - to the ambient, free-flowing glory of 'Fez - being born' and into the 'rock-folk infused' storyteller ballad 'White as Snow' - U2 remain faithful to producing great music that doesn't ever seem to walk the same ground twice.

Experimental, hard rocking, powerful and original throughout, 'No Line on the Horizon' is a serious challenger to 'Achtung Baby' as their greatest musical feat since the back-to-back glory of 'The Unforgettable Fire' and 'The Joshua Tree' - arguably the reigning champs of musical excellence in their discography.

Other reviewers have suggested that Bono's dedication to saving the world isn't as pervasive throughout the lyrics and messages on this album - but I feel that it is here just as much, if not more so - but Bono has refined his lyrical playfulness and excellence to say what he feels just as strongly - but with more poetic subtlety than ever before.

'No Line on the Horizon' is a superb album and yet another high point in the unrivaled omniscience and longevity of the world's greatest band.

Highly Recommended.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Wow. Thanks for that Neil. I have been hearing mixed things from people on other forums about the album, so you have re-stoked my excitement.

There's a load of different editions of the album coming out. I've gone for the digibook version, I just couldn't justify the hardcover book version. It should arrive some time next week, can't wait.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
I don't mean to crap on this thread, but I've heard the whole thing a few times now, and find it completely forgettable. There's just nothing here that sticks in my head or draws me back for repeated listens. There are occasional moments here and there that seem to vaguely recall old glories, but for me they've lost their relevance.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Not at all - its good to get differences of opinion. I would be interested to know what you feel the best of U2 is (what they are not living up to here). To me, the first three tracks alone are worth the price of this disc (or download). I found this to be able to take some risks that reminded me of Unforgettable Fire, but a persistence that I did not hear in 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' or 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' - two albums that were solid, but broke no new ground for them...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd love it if they'd go back to their early days. IMO, The Joshua Tree was their last great album, after it, everything they've done is pretty forgettable.

How does this compare to those of their early days?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

That's hard to say in so much that U2's work is in what I see as distinct phases. 'War', 'October' and 'Boy' represent the gritty, powerful first phase - linked by 'Under a Blood Red Sky'*, they entered a new phase with 'Unforgettable 'Fire' and 'Joshua Tree' - an increasing influence by American music and culture (American West, small town and the draw of the cities) that was capped by 'Rattle & Hum'. Then came their rediscovery phase with 'Achtung Baby', which allowed them to create a new persona (or at least Bono) - flash with substance, style with punch - followed through by 'Zooropa' and the maligned 'Pop' (which has some incredible tracks on it - Please and Gone being the finest). I think the failure of Pop made them withdraw and become a little timid- which is a shame, since when Rattle & Hum (album and film) were less than enthusiastically embraced, they withdrew but rebounded anew with 'Achtung' - taking them in a new direction with a refreshed energy and sound. Then they produced a couple of albums that were not unexpected - that had in my mind become comfortable with what the sound of U2 was supposed to be with ATYCLB and HTDAAB - albeit with some nice touches. Great albums (in the grand scheme of things) but hardly redefining.

That's where 'No Line on the Horizon', to me, begins a new phase for U2. Through all of their albums - the U2 sound is undeniable - there's no mistaking that it's U2 and the key ingredients for the most part are there - but each new phase brings a paradigm shift - a shaking up of what had come right before and a defiant launch into fertile new territory.

I think that this new album is misunderstood for who U2 really are. I knew the moment I heard 'The Joshua Tree' that music would never sound the same (just like when I discovered 'Dark Side of the Moon'), the same thing happened with 'Acthung Baby' and it has happened again with 'No Line on the Horizon'. This album doesn't evoke a particular period in U2's existence - but it does build upon it, relish it in parts and run from it in others - all out of necessity - like the leaving behind of the Americana of Rattle & Hum and the embrace of the dire, seriousness of a gray and rundown Europe and a changing world (Until the End of the World is a masterpiece) - all while projecting sarcasm, rebellion and a little hope (One).

You will hear echoes of 'War' and 'Boy' - but faint as the number of years passed since those great albums would suggest. A little Achtung, a pulse or two of 'Zooropa' and the lingering thought of a song or two from their best selling album. But this album stands upon its own two feet and makes a path for itself out of the expected and manufactured musical landscape that has encroached on the realm of those precious albums of many years past that took risks, weren't afraid to step out on a limb and did it all with purpose and sincerity.

Another day of spinning this disc and another day of relishing in its accomplishment.

Sorry for the long response

*Edit - accidentally called 'Under a Blood red Sky' "live at redrocks" - since that is how i usually refer to it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like the new record a lot. Not yet sure if I like it as much as the last two, but I like what I hear so far, especially "Moment of Surrender."

I've liked just about everything the band has done, although I confess I thought "Pop" was too self-indulgent and ironic for this band. That album was their biggest disappointment to me, despite having some good songs.

Favorites are Achtung, Joshua, and yes, Rattle & Hum. I know the criticisms of R&H, but I enjoy it a lot.

The new record reminds me of Unforgettable Fire, which is a good thing, and is a sound that the band hasn't much revisited since then.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
How is the CD mastering? I just ordered the vinyl out of fear that the CD will sound over-compressed like most of their recent CDs.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I'm listening to the album (I got it via the Amazon MP3 Download store) and it does sound quite good, especially on the new Sony MDR-EX90LP in-ear headphones I use with my 3G iPod nano.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

That review is generally well thought out, but there is something that bothers me, the reviewer states:

"the truth of the matter is that no one will be singing “FEZ-Born Again” or the drab “White As Snow” from memory five years from now."

Those songs are part of the fabric of the album, like 'Promenade' and '4th of July' were to 'The Unforgettable Fire' or 'Exit' and 'Mothers of the Disappeared' were to 'The Joshua Tree' - elegant elements in those defining albums, but not single-ready like the big hits from those albums were. I fear that the expectation has become for albums to be a collection of catchy, single worthy, radio-play ready tracks rather than something more substantive in the context of the overall piece.

But, with everything, its a matter of taste at time

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

Superb post Neil.

I've had the new album since Monday. I've played it a dozen times or so already. My feelings right now are that this is there best album since Achtung Baby.

Each track on the new album has a very distinct sound. The most familiar is "Get on your Boots" which sounds like a track that could've been on either of there previous two albums. I'm not sure it was wise to make "Get on your Boots" there first single, I think something like Magnificent would've been a better choice and a better representation of the album as a whole.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So, I liked their first phase at the time, and have the new DVD of Under a Blood Red Sky, but that sound is a bit dated...
I lost touch with them after that, never liked Joshoa or Unforgettable, but reconnected with Rattle and Hum which I still listen to now and then.
Achtung Baby is a true calssic, by far their best album, but Zooropa and Pop are Ok as well, and the Live from Sydney DVD is a great concert when they were at their very best, ever.
After that things went into a bit of decline, to quote Marvin, a song here and there but no album that I liked.

So, is the new one for me, who loves the experimental, industrial and weird sounds of Achtung, or for those who long for the period before that? Is it their best since the Joshua Tree or since Achtung Baby?

btw, great post Neil, very insightful and interesting, one for the archives, to be sure

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I wanted to revisit this thread and add that U2's performances of the new songs from this CD at their live show (I saw them last year in Charlottesville, VA) were top-notch. In particular, track 5 (I'll go crazy..."), which is amped up and almost disco'd out, is a triumph with energy and verve - superior to the album version.

I have found myself spinning this album again lately, mixed in with a run of Neil Finn/Crowded House spins, and hold that this release is a fine return to U2's creative and risk-taking form.

ttribe

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Tribe
I agree with Neil's statements here. NLOTH may not be U2's best work top to bottom, but there are some outstanding tracks on the album - "No Line on the Horizon," "Magnificent," "Get On Your Boots," and "Stand Up Comedy" are all excellent. I, too, had the opportunity to see the band live in Phoenix in October and, once again, came away thrilled to have had the experience.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, it's been a while, and I've listened to this a few times on Spotfy, so when I finally found it for a good price I got it, and it is good. Not great, but good. I found the Magazine Edition of it, which comes housed in a magazine style cover, with a decent number of pages with photos, interviews etc included, and it was only about $10 (at CD WOW).
It grows with each listen, and while it is no new Achtung Baby, it may be their best since Pop.
Also, as a bonus, the Magazine Edition included a code for downloading the Anton Corbijn movie Linear, with music from the CD. It is a one hour movie with no dialogue, only music from the disc, beautifully shot (typically Corbijn, gritty b/w to start with ), well worth checking out.

All in all, U2 are back, and if I can find a way to catch them live this summer, I surely will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks