What's new

CD Players: What HiFi gives Arcam DiVa CD82T nod over ROTEL RCD-1070 (1 Viewer)

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
I currently own an older Sony 604 ES & was looking to upgrade to the ROTEL 1070. The What HiFi article has given me reason for pause. Has anyone heard these two players?

The other problem is that where I live, I can only order an Arcam sight unseen (unheard). -- No option to audition

Any thoughts?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Geoff, I haven't heard either player, but What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice out of the UK regularly give Arcam CD players high marks. I'm not saying that the kudos are not deserved, but it's just an observation. As I recall, one of these magazines did a head-to-head test of comparably priced players a few months back before the CD82T was out, and they liked the Exposure 2010CD better than the Rotel player. The Exposure player came out on top. The Arcam DiVA CD72T was in that test too, and going into the test, it was the magazine's class leader. So, the Exposure unit unseated the CD72T. In any event, the Rotel player has gotten good reviews, but not top reviews. Exposure is relatively new to the US, so finding their products is likely to be difficult.
It's too bad you don't have an Arcam dealer locally. Perhaps you can find a mail-order dealer with a money-back guarantee. Try www.audiolab.com .

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Geoff, I haven't heard either player either. Don't know if you've seen the review at goodsound.com for the Arcam CD62T. It will probably give you a better idea about what the Arcam CD player can do.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
In a more recent test, What HiFi rated the Arcam CD62 below the similarly priced NAD and Rotel offerings. The description of its sonic characteristics was the same as for the goodsound.com review. The Exposure was given a lower rating this time since other players in the test provided better value for money. The Marantz CD6000 KI SE came out on top in this test.

Arcam players seem to offer more detail (perhaps at the expensise of more harshness) as you go up their model range. One thing about the CD72 and 82 are that they can be upgraded to the Ring DAC used in the CD92.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I saw that later test in What Hi*Fi?. I expected the Exposure to come out on top again, but the criteria were a bit different, it seems. The other issue is that they inserted different players. For example, the Marantz unit, though available, was not included in the first test. I don't think the NAD was either, though it may not have been available then. In any event, What Hi*Fi? confused matters by doing two similar tests just a few months apart.

If you read What Hi*Fi?'s current Awards issue, you will see that they are very high on the NAD C 521i and C 541i. Then again, they were also very high on the C 520, C 540, C 521, and C 541 too.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The good thing about the 2 What HiFi tests is that you can use the Exposure as a reference between the 2 to make a broader comparison :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks