What's new

Can you drive 2 sealed subs with 1 amp? (1 Viewer)

ClarkZ

Agent
I just purchased a PE 250w amp and I was wondering if it would be able to drive 2 seperate Shiva or Tempest subs.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Clark,

It will run dual drivers as long as you don't mind running them as an 8 ohm load.

Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Amp will provide less power into 8 ohms. It will work fine to power 2 shiva's or tempest's with the 250W plate amp but it would be recommended to run one driver per amp at 4 ohms. so you may need an additional amp if you decide to go with dual shiva's/tempest's. Although I'm sure they will sound excellent with only one amp.

Hailan R

Agent
I know that the pe amps ae not rated as 2 ohm stable but has anyone ver tried running one @ 2ohm, even maybe add some extra cooling like a fan or sumthin to it, so it stays cool. Sure it would reduces its life span some but for the extra power i think it would be a good trade off.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hello,

vc=voice coil

one pe 250w amp is rated at 150w @8ohms (300-793) and another at 180w @8ohms (300-794). clark, dont sweat it. it will work. its called hooking the vc's a series-parallel connection. the shivas and tempests have two 8ohm vc's each. heres how...

just hook each driver's vc's in parallel (+) to (+), (-) to (-)

then hook the drivers together in series...

driver1 (+) goes to the terminal cup (+)

driver1 (-) goes to driver 2 (+)

driver2 (-) goes to terminal cup (-).

if you want to run @4ohms...

parallel each driver's vc's but dont connect driver1 to driver2. you'd then need 2 amps and a dual terminal cup.

edit: i just noticed you said seperate subs in the original post. two seperate boxes? would still be the same connections though, just some would be outside the boxes.

heh "JESSIE, step away from the box!". huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks