What's new

can i use 14/2 in-wall speaker wire as a subwoofer rca cable ? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Z

Agent
i posted this on another topic and they directed me here.

here is the question

for a 50 foot run ?

i am in the process of building the room and want to know what all i might need, to put inside the walls now aswell.

so i don't have to re-do this later.
any advice or suggestions will help.

what should i add now?

thank you.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If it’s going to be connected to your receiver’s “Sub out” jack (i.e., line level) then you need to run a shielded cable. Typically the cheapest and easiest way to accomplish this is to run RG-59 coax and terminate with F connectors on both ends, then get F to RCA adapters to interface with the receiver and sub.

If you’re going to connect the sub to your receiver’s speaker outputs, then you need to run speaker wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Patrick Z

Agent
i bought 1000 feet of this monster cable, and thought i could use it as a subwoofer rca cable.

any audio loss in low freq.
using coax cable vs stranded copper wire ?

i have a 250 foot roll of black coax cable right now.

any other cables i should run ?

thank you

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick......go here it is like a mini primer on the benefits of using coax to connect to your subwoofer. Also how you connect your subwoofer depends on the type of subwoofer you intend to use. If the sub is passive or used as the crossover/connector setup aka Bose you are required to do things a little differently.

If it is a stand alone sub with its own amp and controllers the manufacturer may require line level via coax.

Coax can be purchased that has specific shielding properties to help fight several type of interference. Decide first on what type of subwoofer you are going to use and then run appropriate cables to suit that installation.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Then the coax will be your best bet for you. You said that there has already been speaker cable run? Any chance that is was run in conduit? If you can't run it through the wall then look at the top of this forum and look for a discrete way at Cable Organizer.

Patrick Z

Agent
i have been reading about free air infinite baffle type sub designs.

ones inwhich the woofers are hidden in a crawl space or attic.

what side of the room should this type of sub design be located ?

the same side as the screen ?

or it doesn't matter since bass has no sense of localization ?

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks