What's new

Can I upgrade the speakers in my projection TV?? (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 46" RCA projection TV. The orignal speakers are two 5x7" Samsung 5 watt single cone speakers. Speakers are 8 ohm. For being cheap little speakers, they do sound pretty good. Are they any speakers which I could purchase to swap the Samsung's out with? Are there any websites you could recommended which carry upgrade speakers for these T.V.'s?

Sometimes with the kids asleep, it's just easier to listen to the factory speakers, rather than turn the "mighty system" on and get yelled at by the wife "Steve, the kids are sleeping so turn that $%&@ thing down".....know what I mean??!!!

Thanks for any help.

Steve

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, can I do this: Find a speaker (believe there are 4 ohm speakers that will fit), wire a 4 ohm resistor in to bring it up to 8 ohms.......will this work? Thanks.

Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Steve,

When I first saw your thread yestereay the first thing that came to my mind was car stereo speakers. Problem is, they’re all 4-ohm, as you probably know. I was hoping someone else would have a recommendation.

To answer your question, yes, you could add a 4-ohm resistor in series as long as the resistor is high-powered. If should be rated for at least as much power as the TV’s amps put out.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot, Wayne!! I can't believe it's this hard to find some upgrade speakers for this (or really, any TV it seems) TV. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I did have my Partsexpress catalog delivered yesterday, but haven't had a chance to look thru it, yet.

There are some real nice car speakers out there, but was worried about the the typical 4 ohm load (vs. 8 ohms which is stamped on the back of the factory speakers) that most of them are. I don't think the amp in the TV is all that much.....heck they are only 5 watt single cone speakers, so I know there ain't all that much pushing the speakers. The factory speakers do sound pretty darn good (must be the box of the TV that helps out in the sound), but wanted just a bit more.

Thanks again. I'm going to look into some resistors. If anybody finds a source for 5x7 8ohm speakers, please let me know.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks