What's new

Can I daisy chain a 4x4 multiswitch into a 3x4 multiswitch? (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit
I'm currently at capacity for my 3x4 multiswitch, and need to add a 5th line for my house. In preparation for HDTV, I'm considering upgrading to an oval dish with a built-in 4x4 multiswitch. Problem is, the built-in switch still doesn't alleviate my problem. So, I'm wonding if I can take 2 lines off the 4x4 and run them into the 3x4, giving me 6 working outputs (2 on the 4x4, and 4 on the 3x4). Is this possible? I'd like to avoid plunking down the money for a 5x8 right now...

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
My understanding, though I have not tried it, is that daisy-chaining the multiswitches does not give you access to all three satellites at all receivers. You should go ahead with the 5x8 switch.

SMK

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The four outputs on the 3x4 will only pass through programming from the 101 satellite. The other two outputs from the 4x4 will pass through programming from all three satellites. If you need all programming from all outputs, then you need to replace the 4x4 with a 5x8 (you don't have to use the antenna input on the 5x8).

-Robert

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
That might be an acceptable compromise, since there's not much on the other satellites besides HDTV. Use the 4x4 outputs for HDTV and the 3x4 outputs for the rest of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks