What's new

Can I connect a sub using component vidoe cable? (1 Viewer)

DeanChat

Auditioning
Greetings,

I want to connect a sub to my preamp and need three RCA cables (L, R, and LFE) for my music/HT setup. Component video cables come in "threes" and also come in long lengths (I need about 12 feet). Is this a good option for connecting a sub? I have seen some writings about ground loop issues. Do "special" sub cables have features that prevent ground loops?

Thanks much!
-Dean

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Dean, what sub are you using? I know some of the polk subs that have an L&R input that use the sub amp crossover when they are used, or the LFE input witch will bypass the crossover when it is used. For what I know of it you wont to use one or the other but not all at the same time.

Something else to consider is that componet cable can get pretty pricey, if you wont a very good sub cable for a cheep price use some RG6 coax & either solder your own RCA ends to it or you can buy adapters that will screw into the cable & have an RCA end on them.

DeanChat

Auditioning
I am auditioning a number of subs (currently the Totem Lightning). The next sub will probably be the ACI Titan 2 LE which has L,R, and LFE. From what I can tell from the ACI manual you hook up L and R by using Y cables (or Y plugs) to split the preamp signal for your main speakers so you can route it to both the power amp and the sub. You can also plug the LFE-out from the preamp into the LFE-in on the sub. My impression is that the L and R inputs will augment the bass of your mains for all material, while the LFE-in allows you to play the ".1" channel with the sub. Am I missing something here??

Currently I have 5 "full range" (all setup as "large") speakers, Totem Arro mains and Totem Mite-T center and rears, which go down to around 40-45 hz.

I plan to upgrade my current component video cable connecting my DVD player to the TV, so the money is already spent. I currently use a 4 meter Tributaries Delta component cable (cost about $80) and would like to use that with the sub when I upgrade to a better video cable.

Thanks!
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks