What's new

Buzzing in rear speakers (1 Viewer)

BrianGT

Auditioning
I have had the same setup for almost 2 years now, and just yesterday the rear speakers starting buzzing very noticeably. I have an Onkyo 575 Receiver with Mirage FRx speakers all around. Both speakers started buzzing at the exact same time, so I'm assuming that the problem is stemming from my receiver.

Does anyone know what might cause such a problem to just happen randomly? And can anyone suggest what I can do to fix the problem?

The receiver was bought refurbished and has long outlived its 90-day warranty. Any idea on how much to fix a problem such as this?

Thanks,

Brian

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A continuous hum, or a rattle during loud passages?
A continuous hum suggests (simple) a loose cable connection at the input, or (complicated) a failed filter capacitor inside the amp.
A rattle during loud passages suggests (simple) something foreign such as an insect got up against the speaker cone, or (complicated) the cone has warped due to humidity changes over the years. As you mentioned, since it happened to two speakers at exactly the same time, these are unlikely.
I would start by unplugging and replugging all plugs and jacks twice, and undoing and rescrewing all speaker and ground wires. THis cleans any oxidized connections.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'll offer a more mundane possibility. Have you added new lights or changed existing ones connected to the same circuit? It's amazing how many people (myself included) have experienced buzzing in their speakers only to find out it's caused by a halogen lamp or such.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
buzzing in their speakers only to find out it's caused by a halogen lamp or such.
Hm. I've noticed buzzing while watching TV. And the halogen lamp is connected to the same outlet as the receiver. Why would something like that happen?

Bob Christensen

Stunt Coordinator
Most halogen lamps have a two-way type switch on them. The resistor/rheostat type of interference is typically present when on a midway output, and not present when completely off or on as bright as it can go. Dimmers on wall switches are another bit troublemaker. Also, flourescent lights can also cause problems. Try to eliminate as many of these from your equation as possible. Also check to see if your rear speaker cables are running parallel with any power mains in the wall or under the floor. Try to cross any power mains at a right angle. Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

BrianGT

Auditioning
I'll try recutting the ends of the speaker wire that may have become oxidized. I do have a set of halogen lights right next to the rear speakers, but these have been here for 6 months with no problem at all. Let's hope that the problem lies in the connection and not with my receiver.

Thanks,

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks