What's new

Burnt by the Sun -- disappointment? (1 Viewer)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or did Columbia have some wicked sense of irony and the subtitles on the new Burnt by the Sun DVD are actually of the burned-in variety and can't be turned off? I was also disappointed that they chose not to enhance it for 16x9. My first (granted, somewhat superficial as I haven't watched it all the way through yet) impression was that it was at best a half-hearted effort on their part.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Many people prefer burned-on subtitles, as lines of text are not lost when the film is presented on a widescreen set.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
That depends on how the disc is mastered. There are plenty of discs with player-generated subtitles that are not lost on a widescreen set. The first one that pops into my mind is Amarcord but there are many others. It just annoys me that I can't turn them off and just watch the movie without being distracted.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sounds like Columbia decided to just slap the old video/LD transfer onto a dvd. Pretty lazy treatment, but it does not surprise me, Columbia often drop the ball on their 'Sony Classic' titles :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks