What's new

Build my own Tumult based Sonotube? (1 Viewer)

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm going to need lots of help here!

I plan to build a sonotube sub with the Tumult as my driver.

I would like extension to 16 Hz at least. I'm a newbie to design, so I'm going to need help with all of the measurements, power requirements and so on. I'll need to know about porting and where to best get the pieces I need.

I've budgeted around $1000.00 but can make adjustments to that if I need to.

I like hands on, and have made much more complex items than what it appears I need for the sonotube designs.

I read a lot, and have been checking the sites I can find about sonotubes and design, any help in this area would also also be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start.

Looking forward to your help and the project.

Bill

A

Anthony_Gomez

If you plan on feeding the tumult some serious power (ie use the Xmax potential or near it), then any ported design will either be considerably underported, or will require rediculously long ports.

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
OK, if that is so, then I have no problem with a sealed design. I do intend to feed it approximately 750+ amps using one of the high power plate amps.

Bill

A

Anthony_Gomez

You will be happy sealed but not to 16hz if you are expecting massive 16hz output. 16hz will require either a PR enclosure or a high powered Linkwitz transformed sealed sub. 750+watts will probably be fine. You will definately be able to clip the amp before ever reaching close to the X-Max.

The Tumult has lots of moving mass, so be sure to build the endcaps extra thick for added mass (use MDF)...and use a base plate similar to SVS. Brian Ownes had a BPD1803 sonotube and he could get it to jump almost 1" in the air! It did not have the extra base plate or extra thick end caps.

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
So how do I model a sonotube either ported or unported that would give me good output at 16 Hz?

Bill

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I downloaded WinISD. I can make it work for speakers in the database, but how do I make it work for the Tumult, which has not been entered?

Bill

Jonathan T

Second Unit
You have to enter the values manually. To get most of the imformation you need, you'll just have to enter the T/S stuff.

James Meyers

Auditioning
what if anything have you decided to use for the tube? I have some good Ideas for that if you are interested in saving some money

James Meyers

Auditioning
me and my buddy both have had more than excellent results with our svs style subwoofers. We used cylindrical 18" concrete forms that are made out of really thick cardboard. Mounted an adire 15" sub in both ends with ports on each end. Made our own caps so it sits about 3 inches off of the floor and are running them with one 250 watt plate amp and that is more than enough power because of the massive air space. We are getting about 118db @ 20 hertz and it is clean and accurate. If you want info on how to build let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks