What's new

Budget Sub to compliment JBL NSP1's (1 Viewer)

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
I originally put off getting a sub because I live in an apt at the moment. However, I think I am slowly convincing myself that I could still have one and benefit from it - while not getting evicted? :laugh:
So I did a quick search on this and came up with a few topics. However, a lot of them seemed a bit outdated, so I wanted to make sure nothing else has recently impressed the forum. Seeing as I didn't spend a fortune on my NSP1 (first set of speakers for my first HT setup), I want a sub that won't break the bank or make my JBL's seem like a pinto parked next to a Ferrari.
So with that in mind... Please give me your opinions (model numbers/price would be appreciated).
Just in case your wonder what I will be hooking it up to:
HK AVR320
JBL NSP1
Sony Wega 27"
Pioneer DVD-440

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Tim search e-bay JBL sells their stuff direct from the factory at very reasonable prices, also check out the SONY sa-wm40, it sells for about 130.00 bucks all over the net, i think best buy sells it for about 190.00 it has received high praise on several forums . check the reveiw at cheap home theater.com

Keith Ro

Agent
I too was in a similar situation...Living in an apartment i figured why buy a sub?

Well, I finally picked up the the Sony WM-40, because it was a steal and boy...what a difference it makes.

Even at low volumes, the sound is just way fuller and much more immersive.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the improvement in sound quality going from no sub to sub was actually greater than going from 2 speakers to 5. I never would've thought this until I experienced it.

You are correct though...Loud, deep bass is addictive, so po'd neighbors is a real possibility.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the responses... I will definately be looking into those recommendations.
David, is there a particular JBL model that is recommended or are most of their subs pretty good?
Keith, I can't wait to put it to the test.. I just hope I can keep it in check :D

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Tim
I'm sorry but i don't remember the model #, look at the 10 & l2 incher both are good preformers with your speakers, of course the 12 goes a little deeper. the sony does quite well also , but i haven't heard it with the JBLs.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... very easy to match up with practically any subwoofer.
So, I've successfully used the following subs with my JBL NSP1's (since April 2000)

1) JBL ARC 8" 80w Sub
2) Sherwood 10" 100 Sub
3) AudioSource SW15 15" 200w Sub ($199 @ CostCo - presently used w/NSP1 @ my vacation house)
4) SVS 25-31PCi (temporarily - just to try it out)

All of the subs seamlessly integrated w/my JBL NSP1's very nicely, just like Brent Butterworth said they would! My Yamaha fixed x-over is 90 Hz, and unlike some other small satellite speakers, the NSP1 has usable frequency at all location angles down to 89 Hz (documented by Tom Nousaine @ Sound&Vision), so from 90 Hz down to the Sub's lowest usable frequency, you get the full glory of 5.1-channel sound with action films by bringing the fullness to all program material, whether cinematic or musical.

I personally recommend getting either JBL or Sony 12" size powered-sub, which ever has the best mailorder price. Search Yahoo Shopping via the sub's model number, next sort by price, then choose and buy from a Top Rated Merchant.

Phil

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I think the best budget sub at B&M stores is the Audiosource SW-15. The only thing is it's pretty darn big. Right now you might want to check out www.harmanaudio.com they have the PSW-D112 for around $150 refurbished. It's about 2 or 3 models behind the current PB-12 and is easily a much better sub than the popular sony. It also has a sort of high-tech look to it with the grill on. You'll probably get a warranty since it's straight from Harman Audio.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Hi Tim,
Well, I just have to add my .02 here-
Last weekend I spent a good part of a day wiring my house and hooking up my NSP1's to my Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver. Then yesterday morning took delivery on a Toshiba 50H81! I put the JBL PB12 with all this and then put in "Twister". I said this in another thread, but I thought my living room was gonna fly apart with those tornados!!:D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D I can't recommend the PB12 enough. I got it from J&R for $299.w/FREE shipping and IMHO it's a GREAT bargain at that price. And I've had none of the problems associated w/the PB12 OR the -600 that have been mentioned on this board by some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks