Budget Sub to compliment JBL NSP1's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Speicher, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator

I originally put off getting a sub because I live in an apt at the moment. However, I think I am slowly convincing myself that I could still have one and benefit from it - while not getting evicted? [​IMG]
    So I did a quick search on this and came up with a few topics. However, a lot of them seemed a bit outdated, so I wanted to make sure nothing else has recently impressed the forum. Seeing as I didn't spend a fortune on my NSP1 (first set of speakers for my first HT setup), I want a sub that won't break the bank or make my JBL's seem like a pinto parked next to a Ferrari.
    So with that in mind... Please give me your opinions (model numbers/price would be appreciated).
    Just in case your wonder what I will be hooking it up to:
    HK AVR320
    JBL NSP1
    Sony Wega 27"
    Pioneer DVD-440

2. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Tim search e-bay JBL sells their stuff direct from the factory at very reasonable prices, also check out the SONY sa-wm40, it sells for about 130.00 bucks all over the net, i think best buy sells it for about 190.00 it has received high praise on several forums . check the reveiw at cheap home theater.com

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

I too was in a similar situation...Living in an apartment i figured why buy a sub?

Well, I finally picked up the the Sony WM-40, because it was a steal and boy...what a difference it makes.

Even at low volumes, the sound is just way fuller and much more immersive.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the improvement in sound quality going from no sub to sub was actually greater than going from 2 speakers to 5. I never would've thought this until I experienced it.

You are correct though...Loud, deep bass is addictive, so po'd neighbors is a real possibility.

5. Tim_Speicher

Tim_Speicher Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for the responses... I will definately be looking into those recommendations.
    David, is there a particular JBL model that is recommended or are most of their subs pretty good?
    Keith, I can't wait to put it to the test.. I just hope I can keep it in check [​IMG]

6. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Tim
    I'm sorry but i don't remember the model #, look at the 10 & l2 incher both are good preformers with your speakers, of course the 12 goes a little deeper. the sony does quite well also , but i haven't heard it with the JBLs.

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I think the best budget sub at B&M stores is the Audiosource SW-15. The only thing is it's pretty darn big. Right now you might want to check out www.harmanaudio.com they have the PSW-D112 for around $150 refurbished. It's about 2 or 3 models behind the current PB-12 and is easily a much better sub than the popular sony. It also has a sort of high-tech look to it with the grill on. You'll probably get a warranty since it's straight from Harman Audio.

9. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Hi Tim,
    Well, I just have to add my .02 here-
    Last weekend I spent a good part of a day wiring my house and hooking up my NSP1's to my Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver. Then yesterday morning took delivery on a Toshiba 50H81! I put the JBL PB12 with all this and then put in "Twister". I said this in another thread, but I thought my living room was gonna fly apart with those tornados!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I can't recommend the PB12 enough. I got it from J&R for $299.w/FREE shipping and IMHO it's a GREAT bargain at that price. And I've had none of the problems associated w/the PB12 OR the -600 that have been mentioned on this board by some.