What's new

Buck Rogers in the 21st Century (1 Viewer)

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this set through Columbia House within the last month and had the same problem. I really couldn't even tell at first if a booklet was supposed to be enclosed since the perforated slot where the booklet would supposedly be held was still sealed, as it would be right after the package was assembled. My guess is that at some point perhaps Universal ran out of booklets and just went ahead and packaged the remaining sets in production without them.

I also thought of writing Universal, but its sounds like that might be a fruitless endeavor as well.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron

I bought my copy from Wal-mart for the same price and it had the booklet but it was missing disc 3. I took it back a week later and got a complete set, including a booklet. I bought mine sometime last summer.

I enjoyed season 1 more, Gil looked like he was enjoying the role. That season was very fun to watch. My favourite episode of the entire series was Testimony of a Traitor from season 2. I hated the cast, especially the dropping of Mel Blanc's voice for Twikie for a few episodes, and story changes.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for going to the trouble, Mark. I'll give these a shot. How many total pages is the booklet?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The booklet is all connected together but I can edit the pages so that you can fit two pages per sheet of paper and create your own booklet.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Buck Rogers suffered the same fate as Battlestar Galactica. The second season of each had a huge budget cut, i.e. no more ardala or draconians. Battlestar came back as galactica 1980. Richard Hatch and Dirk benedict didn't have to return because their contracts were up. As for Buck Rogers, Hawk was one of the best characters in the second season. Look for Dennis Haysbert in a number of episodes as well.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The special effects for Battlestar Galactica had suffered a major setback when Lucasfilm Ltd. discovered that the special effects/sound effects they were intending to use were similar to Star Wars. Universal did not want to fight a legal battle with Fox at that time and so they agreed to change the special effects for the television series and the series suffered ...

njoberheim

Agent
Real Name
Rich
I'll never forget during the run of this show there was a scene where buck accessed some kind of control panel. The panel looked very familiar. After taking a better look at it I realized it was a game (Computer Perfection) that I had. I couldnt believe that they used it as a prop. :)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Since it was John Dykstra and bunch of ILM guys working on the Galactica pilot/movie fresh off of Star Wars, of course there were going to be similarities! How many different ways can you have spaceships flying around battling each other anyway?

As the series itself recycled a lot of that FX footage, I don't see how Lucasfilm would have been appeased in such a bizarre scenario. But then again, Lucas' lawyers wanted to sue the people who made Hardware Wars...

Speaking of familiar looking props, Buck is seen using a Commodore PET computer in a second season episode. A similar computer turns up in Kirk's apartment in Star Trek II, but that could simply be part of his antique collection. ;)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Received mine yesterday from amazon,and it came with the booklet.Ive watched the theatrical pilot , it was really fun.Havent seen this series , since the early 80s.Judging from the pilot, I think im going to enjoy this series on dvd, even more than 70s galactica !!!!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I snagged one from Walmart last year and it had the booklet.

I've been watching these myself lately. I'd seen them on sci-fi years ago and knew the show had "gotten" cheesy since last seeing it as a kid when it originally aired. That was a real shame. Still, nostalgia drives this one pretty well for me. The honeys on the show are still honeys! Wilma is incredible in those tight outfits. I don't see how I made it through an episode without 12 trips to the restroom for "a pee break". ;)

I like BG much better though. In fact, BG has held up and the nostalgic is strong too. I have yet to buy those however....both the original and the lesser 80s series are high on my list. It makes a big difference when something is $20 and sitting there in Walmart. :)

mark79

Auditioning
Real Name
mark

I took alot of comfort the future would be safe for all women to live in spandex disco pants & skintight matching jackets.I'm collecting all movies that contain scenes or feature the supporting cast wearing these oft put down beauties.It took mad hip bones to get in those & sit down,run,etc.
the 50's gave us duct tape piping & monsters with pices of 2x 4 & mics exposed in shots.my neighbor has those.Just because the matrix looks like a video game doesnt make it high art.:D

mark79

Auditioning
Real Name
mark
I'm glad they are finally making this stuff available.The "tine tunnel" was a fun show....also,depending on age,ta have to remember this was during the 3 channel years & was in "prime time". My other post about Sweeps or 'grab for ratings/advertising dollars made most of the female characters go 'undercover' in a swimsuit competion/etc...the other way to hook the audience was a two part show that had the lead in deep trouble.....Has ANYONE seen the"MIDNIGHT SPECIAL" or DON KIRSHNER"S ROCK CONCERT????"
I remember zappa w/ full band,Todd rungren...alot of performers before MtV turned the music on its ear;requiring runway models lip syncing a whoule album worth of 2 min 30 sec dance hits.
It was"unplugged;plugged in & cranked up, & Edgar Winter to Dusty springfield would show up.

Your threads are very helpful,fun & interesting.Alot of good points on here made with enough clarity you can make informed desicions on what you may want to collect.I was unaware of TVLAND....as we dont care for TV/just movies.The TV on collections is just fun nostalkia...My wife & I look at the cars,car phones,clothes....it's just hysterical sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks