What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
By the start of the 1970’s, Sidney Poitier – who left us earlier this year – had firmly established himself as a transformative figure in Hollywood. The first Black actor to win a Best Actor Oscar – for Lilies of the Field (1963) – he had made a mark as a reliable leading man who projected strength in his characterizations in an era of changing attitudes and tastes. In 1972, he added directing feature films to his resume with the western Buck and the Preacher for Columbia Pictures. Previously released on DVD, Criterion has licensed the movie from Sony for its Blu-ray debut.

Buck and the Preacher (1972)

Released: 17 Mar 1972
Rated: GP
Runtime: 102 min

Director: Sidney Poitier, Joseph Sargent
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Western

Cast: Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Ruby Dee
Writer(s): Ernest Kinoy, Drake Walker...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
I CONCUR! THIS IS A TERRIFIC RELEASE OF AN UNJUSTLY NEGLECTED FILM! I applaud The Criterion Collection for this beautiful release and for the increased attention paid to pioneering achievements made by artists of color. For those of us who love film and have longed for these releases in high quality, they are filling a void for generations to come! BRAVO!

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
This film has grown on me over the years; I did not think much of it on first release (I think I too young and not educated enough in the world to grasp some of the meaning and nuance).
As I age this film and what sits behind it resonates very strongly.
Bravo to Criterion for the release.
Thank you for an excellent review of the film.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I watched my DVD of it in the days following Poitier's death, and thought it held up really well. I haven't picked up the Criterion BD yet, but it's on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks